Braces....:(

After so many other things, I finally get to have braces. My teeth are warped due the chemo and radiation I had when I was only a year old. Some of my baby teeth haven’t even come out yet, so I’ll have to get those pulled out:eek: . As for the rest, they are either crooked or not the same size as adult teeth.

I probably won’t get them for a while though. I just had my initial consultation today at the orthodontist. He has to meet with my other dentist that referred my to talk about what the best options are.

I am so not looking forward to this. I hate having anything foreign in my mouth.

Does that mean you don’t like Chinese food? rimshot

Seriously, though, that bites. No pun intended.

I had braces.

For me, they hurt more than getting bitten by a dog when they’re first put on; when they were tightened, they ached to the point that I could only eat things that didn’t have to be chewed; and when I got them taken off, my mouth felt weird for a month.

I’m not trying to scare you, I just think people shouldn’t sugar coat their experiances, especially when it comes to things like braces.

Braces sucked major ass. They’re worth it, now, obviously, and because’s everything’s over but I had a horrible time with my dentist. The first three days are hell, I could not bite and I couldn’t set my jaw, they hurt so badly. And I went through the monthly check ups to get them tightened…I had to wear an expand first, then two years of braces, and then I still wear retainers…I got my braces off three years ago and I have to wear these at night. Have fun and I hope you are brave shudder Maybe it was just me who went through the awful stuff.

Originally posted by GG Crono 4
[b]Does that mean you don’t like Chinese food? rimshot

Seriously, though, that bites. No pun intended. [/b]

Actually I really don’t like Chinese food. When I go to a restaurant, I normally get sweet ‘n’ sour chicken minus the sauce and use ketchup I love Italian though :hahaha; . Oh, I’m also happy to know that I’m not the only one with a really corny sense of humor.

I just find it ironic that I’ll probably wearing them for my first PROFESSIONAL job interview instead of my very first interview :hahaha; . I’ve been through a hell of a lot and this shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

My only worry is like I said before, I don’t like anything in my mouth unless I put it there. I’m a very easy gagger, another side effect from the chemo and radiation.

Originally posted by Evangelion
Braces sucked major ass…Maybe it was just me who went through the awful stuff.

It wasn’t, Iwent through it, too. I had to wear headgear at night, the orthodontist and doctor told me to stop because I started to develop some minor neck problems. I also couldn’t eat some of my favorite foods (salt-water taffy, honey-roasted peanuts, caramel, and I wasn’t supposed to eat pop-corn either, but that was where I drew the line, NOTHING could stop me from eating pop-corn.)

Eek…well the dentist will be drilling in your mouth a lot, cutting the wire in the back of your mouth (SCARY!) and putting the elastics on and such. As you progress, you will have to wear two elastics in the front of your mouth that will stretch from the sides connecting your top and bottem set of teeth. It’s highly annoying, and if you chew gum they will snap (Yes I was a baaaad girl) and they’re kinda visible when you smile. They’re don’t interefere with your speech, though they may irritate your tongue, and if you have too much of a problem, the braces may cause problems if you keep touching them with it (I know how silly this all sounds giggle). Also, if your braces hurt a lot, they will give you this wax stuff, that you shove onto the tooth that hurts and it kinda eases the pain… just a word of warning and preparation…you’ll get used to them and some times they’re not so bad. Worth it in the end.

My condolences, BX. Actually, it’s not so bad except for when they replace the wire. Tightening usually only causes you to feel sore for the rest of the day. A new wire usually meant soup for a week back when I had mine.

Be thankful you don’t have to wear headgear though – that is the absolute worst. No, wait… the absolute worst thing ever done to my teeth was when my orthodontist smoothed down the edges of my front teeth. It is nice to be able to run my finger across the tops and not have them feel bumpy, but what a cost! ::doh::

Yeah I had braces for over two years and had my retainer for another two years, I know the feeling.

I have more dental pains coming up too. Two of my wisdom teeth are going to be dug out and pulled around Christmas time this year… a Christmas to remember…

Originally posted by Sapphire Falcon
It wasn’t, Iwent through it, too. I had to wear headgear at night, the orthodontist and doctor told me to stop because I started to develop some minor neck problems. I also couldn’t eat some of my favorite foods (salt-water taffy, honey-roasted peanuts, caramel, and I wasn’t supposed to eat pop-corn either, but that was where I drew the line, NOTHING could stop me from eating pop-corn.)

Ah I never wore the headgear. I had to get braces right away cuz they said when I hit my late teens they’d have to break my jaw and put braces on then. Yeah I’m glad I got braces then. I ate caramel when I felt comfortable with my braces, and dear no, I also did not pay attention to the popcorn warnings, I ate that whenever I wanted to. Two years without it is impossible. I always got scolded for it though so pay back was the biting of the fingers:yipee:

And wisdom teeth. More wonderful painful hellish memories. Yay.

Pain is temporary, beauty is eternal. Wait, that’s not right. Seriously though, it only really hurts in the beginning. I got spacers for two months before. I couldn’t eat hard food half the time. But my braces barely hurt at all. Even when I got them tightened, it only hurt a little the first time. Of course, if you don’t have spacers that first two months becomes that much more painful, but you get through it.

Spacers really hurt me putting them. The rest of the stuff was just mostly aches nothing big. As for food you can’t eat, I pretty much ignored it and my teeth turned out fine.

That’s basically what I had spacers, or expanders. I think they’re similar…not sure. And I still had a hell of a rough time. Maybe you just had a dentist that wasn’t obsessed with inflicting pain like I had ;_;

I had braces for a year and a half. After the first week, I got adjusted to them. I still remember how good my first meal felt when I didn’t get food stuck in my braces, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m wearing the Invisoline (however you spell that) retainers now for several months, but those aren’t nearly as bad as braces. At least you can take them out when you eat.

I wore braces my from 7th grade to some time in my 9th grade (about 1.5 to 2 years). I hated it but it was a necessary evil. I still remember the pain from some of the modifications. I had a metal button placed on a tooth to force it to twist so that it would realign itself enough to be able to put a brace on it.

I now have a killer smile I use to charm the ladies. Presentation is necessary to get ahead in the world.

I had can-opener teeh for some 3-4 years I think. It sucks. I’m happy it’s been years since I’ve even seen one. May God someday compensate all this suffering for all of you who have such stuff.

I had mine for two years… They messed up and some of the concrete stuff they use to put the ones on your molars so they stick got on my tongue… EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. >< Tightening wasn’t too big of a deal with me, though.

Ouch, oh well, the end results are worth the pain.

Close your eyes and think of England!

:stuck_out_tongue:

My babyteeth were though too, they simply refused to fall out. I should probably be grateful for that, they bent the following teeth into the positions they should be in: For that reason I haven’t had to have bracers.

Best of luck with them.