Book Recommendations

My satelite is messed up so I can’t watch TV, recommend me some books. (Other than LotR and Harry Potter). I don’t really care about the genre, just list a few or your faves? Thanks.

http://agora.rpgclassics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13438

Nice big list for ya.

The Runelords

The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire, The Darkest Road, all by Guy Gavriel Guy. Even more enjoyable than LotR.

read the magician? or perhaps xanth novels.

The son of Light. Or was it The Son of the Light? Well, soething like that. It’s the first book of a series of five. It tells the story of pharaoh Ramses II, son of Sethi. It’s not a boring biography. It mixes fiction with facts to create a nice adventure story.

I recently started reading Dune…that’s a good one.

Originally posted by Kairi
read Magician(book 1 of the Riftwar Saga[by Raymond E. Feist])? or perhaps Xanth novels(by Piers Anthony).

Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series is w00t as well.

The Cat in the Hat. It’s better than the movie :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by ahkeeyuu
The Cat in the Hat. It’s better than the movie :stuck_out_tongue:
I also recommend “Green Eggs and Ham” and “One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.” But not “Hop on Pop”, that book invites too many bad jokes.

Sci-Fi:
I, Robot - Issac Asimov
Dune - Frank Herbert
2001 Space Odessy (Can’t remember who wrote it)

Fiction:
Michael Chrichton -Jurassic Park
Michael Chrichton - Lost World
Michael Chrichton - Andromeda Strain
Michael Chrichton - Air Frame
John Grisham - The Pelican Brief
John Grisham - The Client
John Grisham - The Chamber
John Grisham - The Rainmaker
Thomas Harris - Red Dragon
Thomas Harris - Silence of the Lambs
Upton Sinclair - The Jungle
Hubert Selby Jr. - Requiem for a Dream
Chuck Palahniuk - Fight Club
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Catch Me (Can’t remember who wrote it, nobody well known)

Fantasy:
Brian Jacques - Redwall
Brian Jacques - Mossflower
Brian Jacques - Matimeo
Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time Series
The Harry Potter Series

Short Stories:

The Mask of the Red Death - Edgar Allen Poe
The Cask of Amontiallado - Edgar Allen Poe
A Tell Tale Heart - Edgar Allen Poe
Children of the Corn - Stephen King

Sorc listed a lot of good books, as did other people, although there is also George Orwells 1984… Animal Farm was good too.

Yeah. All the Thomas Harris books that Sorc listed are good, and 1984 was one of the most interesting books I read when I was younger(14).

What about something from Anne Rice? The Vampire Lestat for example.

“King Rat” by James Clavell.

hah, thanks guys, I’ll I might not actually be bored out of my mind now :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Sorcerer
The Cask of Amontiallado - Edgar Allen Poe

Good short story.

I would mention a lot of great books, but I’m afraid you wouldn’t be able to read them: They’re in Norwegian, and not translated yet. It’s pretty unlikely that they ever will be, unless I do it. And I’m too lazy to.

As for books in the English language. Anything by Terry Pratchett really. Jules Verne is old, but his books are still great. Someone is doomed to come along and mention Douglas Adams any second now, so I’ll just do it right away and save them the bother. And there’s Edgar Allen Poe, he’s cool.

If I continue now, I’ll turn into a rant machine: So I’m just going to stop here.