BlueTooth Technology

As right now im looking at getting a laptop for college next year, Im seeing lots of things offering optional Bluetooth. Thing is, I have to clue to what it is.

So what is it?

Think of it as wireless USB. You can use it to communicate between computers, with mobiles, with PDAs, with mice, with printers, with scanners, with cameras, and so forth in an endless stream of periphals and devices.

ok, that doesnt tell me much. i can put a lot of things usb.

It’s a handy thing to have and it’ll hardly cost anything extra, chances are that if you get a computer without it, you’ll wish you had later on.

It allows most devices that would normally use USB, to be connected to your computer wireless. Imagine your USB mouse. Instead of that, you would have a plug that goes into your USB slot, and your mouse would communicate with that plug.

I don’t know how it can be put any simpler. :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, it has a range of 30ft, and each device is tied down to its respective adapter. Meaning, if you buy a bluetooth mouse, you will recieve a plug for your computer, and the mouse. When you first use them, you must <i>pair</i> them together, which forever ties that mouse to that plug. You can never use that mouse with another adapter. And if there is accidentally another bluetooth device nearby when you are pairing…oops, you just made a brick.

Or at least, this is how it was the last time i used it. The technology may have changed since then.

Ok, Thanks all for the info.

It has, and it has changed a lot, you can use the mouse with as many adapters as you’d like, and the adapters with as many devices as you’d like, the adapters are now mostly inbuilt, and it’s already long since they fixed the problem with colliding devices. It is for every practical purpose wireless USB.

Bluetooth, It’s a great way to sync your PC and any Mobile devices you want, My mates use to pass data like ring tones, Videos (modern Phones in the UK play videos) and phone no’s.

BN
I myself am planning to upgrade my phone to a model that has Bluetooth.