Ben Stein is doing what???

Shilling for Creationism it seems…

That’s…interesting. o.O This hearkens to something my mythology teacher said once (paraphrasing Joseph Campbell) that the gods of old religions become the devils of the new religions, and the whole creationism vs. science is just another incarnation of it.

I think I learned more about the inner workings of religion in that one semester than I ever did in church or parochial school. >.>

What you didn’t know? I’ve been vomiting for a good month now on the subject.

and you know what? I am going to watch it so I can see if they’ve made up some new arguments for the rest of us to debunk… again.

:kissy:

It doesn’t seem to me that his movie is really ID promotion but is something or other about free speech. I dunno, I guess I can’t comment until I watch it, if I ever do so (because you see, I FEAR FOR MY SCIENTIFIC CAREER)

Hurry and make a group for petitioning the government to allow science in school!

:kissy:

The trailer’s kinda sensationalist. The viewer learns that controversial papers could be published back in the time of Galileo, who apparently didn’t know, as he was forced to renounce heliocentrism and die restricted to his house. There are images of Dachau and Birkenau (I think) as a nod to social darwinism, never mind that it’s actually discredited (he seems the type of guy who, were he on the other side of the fence, would use the strawman of Hitler’s [ambivalent] relationship to Christianity).

And then you got the dangerous!!1one! (at least as dangerous!!1one! as marijuana. FDA approved) crap and the gotta warn you before it’s too late part. I could never fathom literalist readings of the Bible.

I hope the science in the film works better than the spurious connections in the trailer, but I’m not gonna hold my breath :stuck_out_tongue:

Ben Stein was a speechwriter for NIXON and you’re surprised?

Nixon was alright; he wasn’t a crook

When Ben Stein recommended buying ETFs, I thought that it was a sound advise, and I did so when he recommended REITs. But now, it looks like I should buy into ID, and forget everything taught to me by those godless commie evolutionists?!
Hold on… I mean: those nazi evolutionists!

Wow. I’m going to see this just so I can bring it up with my friends, poking big holes in the logic of creationism, talk about my own atheistic beliefs, bring up the fact that scientists are currently able to test the theory of the big bang and string theory using hyper-cooled helium in a container, and then make fun of how Ben Stein looks.

I think my favorite bit was him trying to make Richard Dawkins out to be angry about it just because it was different to what he believed.

That was pretty cool, eh?

People, it’s BEN STEIN. Nobody is going to take him seriously. I doubt they’ll even be able to listen to the whole thing without falling asleep. :boring:

Beuler?

I can at least understand Ben Stein having conservative views. Lots of really smart people do. But this guy’s supposed to be educated. Remember ‘Win Ben Stein’s money’? Its like saying he still believes in Santa Claus…

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what he wants you to do

In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the… Anyone? Anyone? …the Great Depression, passed the… Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered? …raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. Today we have a similar debate over this. Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before? The Laffer Curve. Anyone know what this says? It says that at this point on the revenue curve, you will get exactly the same amount of revenue as at this point. This is very controversial. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in 1980? Anyone? Something-d-o-o economics. ‘Voodoo’ economics.

Hillarious!

It’s “Bueller.”

I find the new direction of this thread to be very uplifting.

The trailer that I saw initially made me think it was about the education system. After reading up on the movie it became readily apparent that Ben Stein basically Godwined the ID/Evolution argument.