Be nice to your CDs...

Because they’re not for long in this world.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/05/06/disc.rot.ap/index.html

I first heard about this in my photography class, and I’ve noticed it with my older cds as well…the only true archival-worthy medium to store data on are things like records and resin cylinders, as old fashioned as that sounds, they’re still being used. Reason this was brought up in photography class is that the question was asked if CDs could replace negatives and glass plates. Well, even in controlled conditions, the CDs get data rot, so the answer was a resounding ‘No’.

Plus there’s always the added danger of the almighty scratch.

I’ve had to have so many game discs resurfaced because of that. Skipping FMVs, unexplained freezing, the works. Luckily resurfacing almost always removes the problems.

I’ve heard about this before. I even have a disc that looks very similar to the one that the guy in the picture is holding up. I am extremely anal retentive about the care of my CD’s and DVD’s, but I have still lost a few of the older ones to time.

I once scratched out the Sliver layer to leave the gaps with one of My Alias intials. WT

Big Nutter
A Earthquake and Eletromagetic Pulse will take all your data.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! ;_;

Curse you aluminium! Curse yoooooooooooou!

Reminds me of a scene from Xenosaga, where Jr’s hotties are ripping on him for reading books. He justifies his habbit by explaining how books last longer than digital storage.

That gets a resounding HA! XD

Just point out that cd with WT on was an Aol 4.0 disk, and Aol have recently released Aol 9.0 in the UK.

Big Nutter

Well I don’t know. I have found out that little brother’s that play with Gamecube discs cuts the longevity of Gamecube discs by a lot… :thud:

I knew they weren’t immortal. They’ll get damaged and destroyed just as easily as any other form of media.

Or they’re RISE UP AND HAUNT YOU

I’m reminded of an old Gary Larson cartoon. Shame I can’t post it. :frowning:

I prefer the analog beauty of vinyl. Imagine, hearing every imperfection, ever. Thats the way music was meant to be heard.

MP3’s, biznatches.

<!–Don’t mention OGG or I’ll kill you–>

When the record, film and game industries fall, it will be TDs fault.

Don’t blame me. Blame yourself or God.

Delita…

Heard about it long ago.
I think it has begun happening to my Civilization II CDs. I’ll have to copy them off soon.

Do you really think this is that huge of a deal? CDs are simply one medium among many. CDs/DVDs may not replace glass plates and other analog forms of storage, but other digital media surely will. The reason being that digital storage is logical, made up of only 1s and 0s. You can transfer it to any other medium without losing any information. I don’t know of any kinds of analog media that can be transferred an infinite number of times without some quality loss.

Oh, and music was never “meant” to be heard over a recording in the first place. I don’t understand how people can be purists about that sort of thing.

Depends on the paper type.