Be a Jockey and Lose Your Dignity

Kinect is one of the greatest inventions of the last few years. As far as input methods go, it’s bringing us one step closer to a future envisioned by Douglas Adams*.

Now, as far as gaming goes, I am yet to see anything good being released for it. In fact, I keep seeing stuff like this:

//youtu.be/I-dCkEa4rGU

I’ll just stick with the regular controllers for the while being.

• For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive- you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was wave your hand in the general direction of the components and hope. It saved a lot of muscular expenditure, of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program.

(from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, for any alien out there who’s never read it)

I can’t help but love that guy, he was so into it, despite how ridiculous he looked.

EDIT: The part where he starts slapping the imaginary horse is over the top.

I’m getting vibes that’re more along the lines of “I’m getting paid to make it look like I’m ‘so into it’!”

Hey, no fair bring future Microsoft’s E3 presentations back in time. We’re all supposed to watch and laugh at all the random disconnects and geriatric Jedis at the same time. Now we all have to worry about getting spoilered to Microsoft’s E3 line-up before the leaks spoiler it.

On the plus side, it seems like developers are finally figuring out a way to let players control their speed in a Kinect racing game, instead of limiting input to lean left, lean right, and car stare.