Bad News

As I’ve personally battled a brain tumor and won, I echo the “You’ll be fine,” sentiment. Keep up the positive thoughts and everything will be fine.

I once had a capillary tumor on my lower lip. It was benign. It oozed blood whenever touched.

I thought it was supposed to be something more like: “You better not die, or I’ll kill ya!”

D:

D:

Don’t die, eh? Dying of consumption is so 1800s.

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubbles, but until we get extra info from Arac , consider him fucked.

Brain cancer isn’t just brain cancer and lymphoma isn’t just lymphoma. There are better and worse subtypes for every kind of cancer there is. Xero, for example, was just lucky with what he got. Had he gotten a Grade 4 GBM, he wouldn’t be posting on the forums.

How sensitive of us Sinistral, to consider one of our comrades “fucked”.

ninjaedit: Regardless of how inappropriate I feel that comment was, I really should remember that sensitivity is not sinistral’s strong point.

Good luck Arac. Being young will be an advantage. Not that I know anything about these things but from what I hear on the news and in science class young people have higher chances of overcoming diseases such as these in comparison to older people.

I don’t think I really had a bubble. All I did was say I once had a benign capillary tumor.

Not everyone lives in Canada :[

“You’ll be fine” x many

“hang on tightly”

“fighter’s spirt (etc)”

“brain tumor < me”

None of this applies. People should be taking this a lot more seriously than it is. Depending on the kind of lymphoma Arac has, he could be dead within weeks. This is not a fucking cold, “get well soon” cheery happy cards do not apply here because it will NOT go away. It will take nothing less than an act of God to save Arac’s life if he chooses to do nothing, which is something that is obviously not understood here. The light hearted nature of this thread is a whole lot more insensitive than my pointing out how much Arac is putting on the line by considering doing nothing about a problem that will kill him. Someone here needed to say the truth. It has nothing to do about sensitivity, esp since Arac knows what it will mean that he not get treated already. In my opinion, it is insensitive to be making these kinds of useless “you’ll be fine” statements.

So as I said, from a statistical standpoint, until we get more information, this is very bad news and anyone in this community that remotely cares won’t be making “get well statements” but will at the very least try to understand what is going on and encourage Arac to not throw his life away.

Contrasting with your “consider him fucked” well-whoops-there-he-goes whimsicality (is that a word? it should be a word) I’d say the pools about steady.

I know your comments weren’t directed at me (a sad emoticon does not constitute anything other than general dismay), but what do you expect off a forum… people don’t know what to say when you tell them you’re dieing.

I expected nothing more. That doesn’t mean I don’t find it distasteful.

As I said, Arac has most likely already been told what’s up so my saying it makes no difference. If he hasn’t , he could probably sue his doctors. The statement was directed at the forum goers, not him. If anything , my saying it is my way of slapping him upside the head as I undoubtedly would if I was presented with the oppurtunity.

Agreed, which begs repeating the question:

Why are you refusing treatment? While I support your right to choose not to, I have to wonder why you would…

Did he PM you with more details or something?

Hey Arac dude, is it because you don’t want to go bald? Your hair’ll grow back… Though I seriously hope its not because your insurance won’t pay for it :confused:

Y’know what, Sin? When you’re sick, it doesn’t really fucking matter what other people say about your affliction, only the doctors. Everyone else is there for moral support. If we didn’t try to make him feel better or piss him off enough to make him forget whatever shape he’s in, we might as well just ignore him altogether.

Sorry if we wanted to give someone some moral support dude. I know if I was on the way out I’d rather my friends be supportive and positive. We all know you’re a man of science but come the fuck on, jeeze.

Sin, given that most of us aren’t informed on the specifics of the condition, and that Arac himself said: “My chances are estimated to be pretty good, given that Lymphoma is one of the more survivable cancers and I’m in extremely good physical health, otherwise.” it would be expected that people would wish him a hasty recovery or what-not and not admit the inevitable doom you predict until otherwise contradicted.

And who do you think we are anyway? Sure there’s no conclusive proof that a positive mental outlook is going to have an effect on curing disease, but I’d like to think that someone has a better chance if they don’t go all fucking emo about it. We’re not idiots, we’re not saying some fucking magical fairy is gonna float over and cure his ailment, quit being such a god damn naysayer about stupid crap like this.

Whenever someone says a cancer is survivable, it implies with treatment. Some lymphomas have great prognoses - with treatment. No treatment has only 1 outcome. This has nothing to do with being a “god damn naysayer about stupid crap”. It is the fundamental reality of cancer. I personally don’t find anything good in supporting a comrade by offering moral support on his way to his self imposed inevitable death.

And no, Arac told me nothing.