back to the economy

Speaking of Secret of Evermore, did anyone besides me ever get the Amulet of Annihilation at first, and think, “Man, I’m NEVER gonna sell this! I’m gonna use it to fucking Annihilate everyone for the rest of the game!” Only to find out that you couldn’t use it to do anything but barter. :frowning:

I know, and I was pretending to be oblivious! And since you mentioned beads, which are a bartering item in SoE, well…

And man, SG, I defeated pirates and Mad Monks until I could BUY ONE. To cross the desert. I didn’t know you could just trek it in like 30 seconds. I think they cost 10 000 or 100 000 jewels. Fuck me!

/fail

I always thought the traded items were kind of pointless since they were only used in one small area of the game(the bazaar in that Roman town). Its like the developers initially had this idea of “hey, instead of just buying stuff with gold, what if we made this complicated trading system” but then got lazy. And good thing to, cause I hated trying to navigate through the goddamned thing just to get one single item that would boost power +3 or whatever.

As for the economy, I’m ashamed to say I don’t really know enough about it to debate about it. I will say that, emotionally, I opposed the bailout and would have liked to have seen the companies that made bad decisions have to deal with the consequences of those decisions. They shouldn’t be allowed to have it both ways - being free to do whatever the hell they want but not having to deal with the consequences. And its funny because the Republicans are basically betraying their deepest values with the bailout.

Oh. Well I didn’t play SoE, as I said. I never had a SNES. I should have realized what you meant, but my brain is tired. :frowning:

Originally Posted by Curtis
I always thought the traded items were kind of pointless since they were only used in one small area of the game(the bazaar in that Roman town). Its like the developers initially had this idea of “hey, instead of just buying stuff with gold, what if we made this complicated trading system” but then got lazy. And good thing to, cause I hated trying to navigate through the goddamned thing just to get one single item that would boost power +3 or whatever.

The trading wasn’t that bad (as evident by the fact that it’s probably the most memorable moment of the game), but other things like having to use different currencies in the different areas (btw you could only use gold in the medieval area which came after the roman area) was annoying. I had built up quite a fortune in talons when I reached the roman area I immediately converted to a jewel based economy only to find out that a) I doubled the jewels I got through the conversion within a few short fights, b) that I could backtrack to the prehistoric area, and c) that I ended up needing a small fortune in talons to load up on alchemical materials that I could only get there.

Getting back to the topic at hand here though…

Why are people surprised by this? Doesn’t anyone read Dilbert anymore? Seriously, anybody who has any questions on the matter should just read Dilbert, and all will become clear (and if it doesn’t then you’re doing it wrong).

Still sidetracking from the topic, but… There’s a moneychanger in each different era. So in other words, your gold coins would be worth 4 times in talons. No need to collect cash :wink: Which also made it a bit of a chore to wait until Gothica to sell your old gear - Gold is the most valuable currency of them all, and there’s a fixed price on each piece of gear…

Eh, the rating agencies pretty much fell on their faces this time. When triple A products turn out to be junk, the whole system needs a reboot. To put it in another way, when your business is based on trust and you prove to be untrustworthy…

Arthur Andersen didn’t turn out to be an example.

…And some people wonder why I think we are all doomed to die soon. Be it WWIII or aliens from space predicted to come on 12/21/12.

Then again, we were screwed during the Great Depression. So, all the world needs is a good, old fashioned World War to get rid of it all. Or we can just say screw it all and return to bartering.

So, yeah, we’ve been screwed for a long time. This could have been prevented by NOT letting the idiots control the country, but nooooo, we just had to let the idiots take over. sigh

And on the SoE side digression, I think the old innkeeper from the prehistoric age steals toe nails. Seriously, he uses them as extra money! And the trading sequences eventually bored me to the extent of playing Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars again(though I’ve beaten it a good amount of times).

This has been coming since about the late 80s/ early 90s. You can’t lay all the blame on any one administration.

Though it hasn’t been helped by the ridiculously expensive war in Iraq, I’m sure.

You can lay the blame on Bush to a large extent. I don’t know the details, but I remember reading somewhere that there was something very specific his administration did with deregulating the credit card industry that acted as a ‘trigger’ for the current crisis.

Oh, I’m not laying the blame on a single administration. I’m blaming it on the collective idiocy of our government since Vietnam. There have been some good decisions since, but mostly we were screwing ourselves over.

Leareth, you’re like the third person in two weeks I’ve come across, who have mentioned that 12/21/12 prophecy :stuck_out_tongue: You get the same treatment from me as all the others. (It’s all in good fun :))

Here, read this. It’s a hilarious site listing all the doomsday prophecies there has been and all the author could find for the future.

You know, it is kind of funny how in just 8 years, Bush has managed to do what took the combined efforts of all other Presidents. In just 8 years, Bush had almost doubled the national debt, something that has been running since the start of the country, but Bush has managed to do in just 8 years what took over 200 for the rest. Just sort of funny, and sad, that Bush was able to do that. What is even better is that Bush can’t go to war to fix the economy since we are already in two wars.

Not so much “able” but “allowed”.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081019/ap_on_bi_ge/the_influence_game_housing

Well isn’t this awesome. :expressionless:

A lot of this is the Democrats fault, too. They were the ones who insisted that loans should be allowed to be made to poor minorities who probably couldn’t pay them back, because they(the Democrats) were under pressure from their interest groups to do so. It also fit in philosophically with the liberal viewpoint that poor people are not poor because of their own fault, and society has a responsibility to help them. Surprise surprise, society failed to help them… its things like this that are sort of making me more libertarian.

Didn’t Clinton do awesome shit with the economy? I thought he was the bomb

Careful, Hades. That’s how we lost Kansas.

Careful, the 984, that’s how America got stuck with Kansas.

Yes, but it’s Arkansas.

Get it? Ar-kansas? Like, instead of pronouncing it like normal Arkansas, we pronounce it like Ar followed by Kansas? And the Ar is a dialect way of saying Our? So, I was saying Our Kansas? Get it? GET IT?!

I get it, that is to say I got it.