Baby Bang experiment could open door to new dimension

If the blackholes were really tiny as I think they are, so far as I remember, they’d probably evaporate before they could do much damage (though I could very well be wrong).

Yes, because every single positron results in many dead bodies. Wait, no, they don’t.

You know when you look at this super-collider (or whatever the hell it is) in a certain light it kinda looks like etheir a poor man’s fargate, or a Maguivered stargate (really sorry but I had to do that)

Science fiction and dead bodies aside if they make a blackhole and it does allow travel to another dimension what do you think are alternet selves will be like?:thinking:

(Damnit I really should’ve started a new thread about the question stated above.)::doh::

I’m just wondering why America or Canada, or even Asia isn’t worried about it, or saying they’re all crazy for trying this. :expressionless:

I mean, it’s their earth too. They should have a say in it.

…there is virtually no chance of a black hole even forming. This same crap went around a few years ago when they started up a simlar (smaller) collider at Brookhaven. Instead of wondering what your alternate selves are like in some alternate universe, go read one of Stephen Hawking’s great for-the-public physics books.

Or read Richard Feynman’s books/letters. He’s very entertaining even when not talking about physics. Plus, you can read his account of sitting on the Challenger committee, which will make you all the more angry that the Discovery disaster happened (though, to be fair, the Challenger was a much, much bigger, more easily-prevented mistake).

Or as Homer Simpson put it, that book by that wheelchair guy :stuck_out_tongue:

You put anti matter, with matter, and you get a weapon of unparallal destruction, worse than the atomic bomb. This in an interesting experiment, but a very dangerous one.

I actually just finished reading Science of Discworld III: Darwin’s Watch. All three Science of Discworld books are really great for explaining the kind of physics/biology that most people know very few details about; the first couple went into physics, quantum theory, space, and the history of the world more in depth, and this one concentrated more on time travel, more quantum, evolution, and even touched on string theory. And of course Rincewind and Ridcully are in them, which makes it a lot more interesting than dry books. They’re a bit biased in their discussions, but then which scientist isn’t in some way?

In short, pretty much nothing sci-fi posits as being possible (including the Trousers of Time) is actually possible physically without an absolutely ridiculously insane amount of energy or other situations that aren’t going to happen anytime soon.

You don’t always get that, no. Positrons are antimatter. You combine one with one electron, you get either two gamma ray photons or some other quantum object if the 'trons have high enough kinetic energy. So no, you don’t always get a weapon when you combine anti-matter with matter. You would have to have a whole more anti-matter created than has ever been created on Earth for any sort of weapon.

But this experiment that they plan to do is something that can create such an amount of anti matter.

Stop making things up.

Is anyone with me on the entire they should negotiate it with other countries before risking the entire earth idea, or am I flying solo?

Dude, did you not read the entire article? It said:

• The risk is calculated at about 10 to the minus 40 - a 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance.

You’d have a better chance at winning the lotto 20 times in a row and finding the remains of Jimmy Hoffa.

That been said, there’s also a chance some religious nut will try to blow this place up because it could be construed that science is trying to explain away God.

I hope thats not the case, but I could see them doing it.

Vorpy I’m not making anything up.

Yes you are. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about, so please do us all a favour and stop.

Im only saying what I’ve read about in science magazines and USA

Yeah, that’s the problem. Stop.

These sorts of experiments create anti-matter all the time, in amounts that are hardly detectable. The scientists are looking at individual particles. To find a practical way to create enough anti-matter to make even a small anti-matter bomb would be a major scientific breakthrough.

These science magazines you read are not thorough scientific journal, they’re sexed up information to make science sound interesting and stick in the minds of the lay person, which as TD said, is the problem. To paraphrase Vorpy, stop pulling things out of your ass. Its just irritating the hell out of the forum readers.