For those of you who don’t know, Avatar is thenewest animated show on Nickelodeon, and debuted last night. Normally, I couldn’t give two shits about Nicktoons because, hey, most of what theyhave is crap these days. But Julia seemed interested to watch it, so I sat down with her.

Dear Lord, this is the awesomest show ever. Seriously. Here’s my view on why:

First: the animation. Dear Lord, the animation. I haven’t seen anything this well-drawn from America outside of a movie in… Ever. Seriously. it rocks. The movement is so fluid, the landscapes so realistic… But it still keeps a lighthearted cartoony-kinda look to keep it amusing.

The plot: The plot of the show is something along the lines of "The four nations (based around the greek elements, of course, even though this seems to be a mostly asain-based world) lived in Harmony for years, with members of each nation becoming masters of that element. These people are known as elemental benders. Firebenders control fire, waterbenders control water, etc.

One day, the Firebenders started a huge war with everyone else. (Of coruse they did- Heaven Forbid any of the OTHER elements ever be evil.) Their terror spread far, until there was only one hope for the world- the Avatar, the one who could control all four elements. But jsut when the world needed hiom most, he disappeared.

Now, 100 years later, he has returned- as a 12-year-old kid. he is the Last Airbender. And the world’s fututer rests in his hands.

Heaven help us all."

I’m amazed at how well they handled the plot- they didn’t feel a need to rush through it, theydidn’t try to cut to the fighting too quickly, and we still had time to see some village fun.

Characters: You have to see this show for yourself to see how well they handled it. I cannot begin to explain it.

All in all: this show has the possibility to become the greatest aniated show I have ever seen. Which means, of course, that it won’t even complete the oriignal 13 episiodes. THis IS Nickelodeon we’re talking about, after all.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Are you SERIOUS??? really? hmmm… I always had a grudge with americans trying to produce an anime (which they cant , even if their life depended on it) and therefore never had interest in AVATAR.

It only used some of the anime style in the drawing of it. Besides Disney tends to be the one that sucks at producing that style in cartoons(American Dragon, Hyper monkey force blah).

Its not only disney.Id give you examples, but due to the anti-thinking barrier my school has I cant.

I read the manga, it seems to generic to pass up watching. :stuck_out_tongue:

The show seems promising. It’s one of the best American cartoons I’ve seen in a long time.

Just hope it doesn’t start sucking later on. XP

I aree hold heartedly with him

Right, depends on what you eman by Anime. if you mean “japanese-style animation”, then you’re right in sentiment, but wrong in terminology. If you mean Anime to mean “cartoons in general”, you’re right in terminology, but oh-so-wrong in sentiment. I refer you to Gargoyles, for one prime example.

Damn, how did I miss this!? Air dates, please!!!

Every Friday on 8:00 p.m., apparently.

I saw it and thought it was pretty cool. The kid can fly and stuff and has a humongous pet…THING

I like it,I think they did a good job.I just like japanese-style animation better.

Hah, I just realised I could never have read a manga for this because there never was one. What the fuck?

ninja edit; what I read was Rave Master, which is equally generic and element-fighting-centred. My mistake, carry on. :booster:

I saw it, it rocked. Now theres’s to anime style new american shows I can watch (W.I.T.C.H being the other…me likey the books…and the show…except for the theme song thing…-_-
).

cough;Imagirl;cough,cough

Well, I just checked this out. Mainly beacause Val threatened to castrate me if I didn’t.

I’ve definately seen worse. On a side note, it’s the first time in literaly years I’ve watched this channel. It’s…unsettling, like. :slight_smile:

oh, trust me, GG: if you hadn’t watched it, I wouldas done stuff to you that woulda made castration look like a walk in the park in comparison. I’m not gonna say much, since it might get me banned, but klet’s just say, Electromagnets are involved.

I just saw the new ep, me likey little monkey guy! XD

Don’t the new episodes only come on on Saturdays?