Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?

This is probably old, but I just recently saw Star Wars: Epidsode III, and decided to revisit the older movies. In Episode IV, when Luke rescues Leia, she says, “Aren’t you a little short for a Stormtrooper?” That sounded really familliar to me, then I went and played FFVI, and realised that Celes says that to Locke if you rescue her with the Imperial uniform still on. Also, Biggs and Wedge frequent all of the FF games, but I believe the two soldiers you start with have those names. However, instead of Biggs, one of them may be Vicks.

Anyway, are there any other real-life references FFVI makes? Or even, mythological references? Because there were about a million in Fire Emblem 7.

I know that in FF9 after Lindblum is attacked, when you’re running around and talking to people that one of them says “Damnit Jim, I’m a doctor not a brick builder!”.

Nice little Star Trek reference.

Hah! I never noticed that one. Very nice. And also:

Gilgamesh:
Gilgamesh was an historical king of Uruk in Babylonia, on the River Euphrates in modern Iraq; he lived about 2700 B.C.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/name.shtml

Yeah, that’s like our most popular section. 8p

Vicks was a mistranlation, it should read Biggs in 6, they “fixed” it for the PSX. Square say so too. http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/interview.shtml

Q.Is there a policy regarding translations from previous FFs (for example, the changing of Gurgu Volcano from FF1 into Mount Gulug in FF9)? Is there a desire at all to keep continuity alive in that sense?

A. Naturally, we strive to maintain consistency. However, over the years each FF game has come to be translated by different people, so naturally mistakes or deliberate changes have occurred. Whenever any mistakes or discrepancies are found, we try to correct them in the next game they appear in. (e.g. “Vicks & Wedge” was actually meant to have been “Biggs & Wedge”…a cultural reference to pilots in Star Wars. Unfortunately, the original translators missed the reference and weren’t able to check with the authors. We changed it once we realized…but the discovery only came after we built a good relation with the dev team and were able to discuss such details with them.)

There are a ton of other references/allusions in FFVI. The whole attempted suicide scene of Celes, including her name, is a reference to an old Chinese poem, for example.
Also, the name of every non-random character and every map-city in Ogre Battle is an allusion to something.

Psh, You can see a connection in everything since most people suck at coming up with names, like me. Also, I suppose it’s meant for you to subconsious connect to the characters.

When I’m writing, I always name characters after their personalities are fleshed out. Because, otherwise, their personalities start to fit their names, which sometimes fucks the plot, but more importantly creeps the hell sometimes.

FFIX also references Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Necron quotes Yoda: “Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

All this is already mentioned in the link that was posted, or in the Ex-Crossovers page of the site.

The origins of the name are already on the FFC, but I’ve actually been to the Costa Del Sol in spain, so that’s one of the few references I recognized right off.

I thought it was cool that in FF9 Ramuh tells Dagger the story of Josef of Salamand from FF2.