Anime Recommendation Thread

Hikari and Jennifer are the only ones that are all that unrealistically-proportioned, and Jennifer doesn’t really count because she’s the stereotypical dumb-blonde, large-breasted American cliche. Akari, Mari, and Ryou’s little sister are pretty much flat.
Maybe I’ve just not been as inundated by similar anime as you to be able to still enjoy these types of shows.

Speaking of which:
Elf Princess Rane
Go is a high school student who prefers to spend his time treasure hunting. His perception of reality is a little off, even after taking into account that a tiny elf suddenly appeared in front of him after he accidently jumped off a 30-story building. Rane thinks Go is a servant who will help her find the Four Hearts, Go thinks Rane will guide him to some incredible treasure. Unfortunately for them, the language difference means the other one only hears gibberish when they speak.
Meanwhile, another elf, Leen meets up with Go’s childhood friend and neighbor, Mari Yumenokata, who has a hopeless crush on Go. Leen, who for whatever reason can speak and understand Japanese, is looking for Rane.
Then there’s Go’s identical sisters (at least 6 of them), some bizzare conflict between the Fire Department and the Yumenokata Foundation, Mari’s father’s right hand man Takuma (the feng shui master who speaks in a nonsense language most of the time) is in love with Mari, and generally lots of chaos.

It’s a very amusing show. Too bad there are only two episodes. Gotchabagoose.

Maybe I’ve just not been as inundated by similar anime as you to be able to still enjoy these types of shows.

It’s got nothing to do with being similar. It’s simply that nothing that comes out of anyone’s mouth is interesting. And perhaps the “unrealistic proportions” isn’t across the board, but they still had way too much gratuitous nudity to be considered as serious as it seems to be trying to be.

That I can accept. The drama did seem rather forced, and I preferred the interaction between Ryou and Akari, or the Mari-Takamaru-Hikari love triangle to Takamaru’s “tragic” past and his ambiguity in the relationship with Hikari.

Also, I’ll take a less original plot that doesn’t drag on versus a unique plot that takes forever to say anything. cough.hack/signcough

Naruto: The anime is basicly Naruto the main character trying to become this great Ninja. He’s got like this nine-tailed fox demon inside of him. He and his friends Sakura, Sasuke are in this exam called the chunin-exams. They are compeeting against other classes of nija to win the exams.

Thank you for not paying attention to everything in the remainder of this thread.

Pierson, I love you.

I just finished watching Crest of the Stars and it was AMAZING. The interaction between the two main characters is great and the setting is awesome.

Onto Banner now :slight_smile:

<B> Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex </B> (sci-fi, complete)

taken from anidb, which took it from animenfo:

“In the future, life between the digital and physical world has been blurred. The boundary of technology and humanity has been stretched beyond imagination with lives being led in both the electronic and physical worlds. With the melding of man and machine – a new cybernetic level of existence is being created - An existence that continues to redefine mankind.”

This show is awesome. It’s about a police unit in the setting described above.

The show has two-types of eps: Stand Alone and Complex

Stand Alone episodes are short stories, a case that’s usually solved within the ep.

Complex episodes center on the Laughing Man case, the main plot of the series.

The Stand Alone episodes range from awesome to average, but the Complex episodes are where the show truly shines. The action, when present, is great too.

If you liked the movies, or enjoy a good sci-fi thriller, check this one out.

EDIT: It also has music by Yoko Kanno, so yeah, that fact alone makes it worth checking out >.>

Record of Lodoss War

This anime is basically your typical fantasy adventure. Parn, the main character goes on a quest to stop Vagnard, and evil wizard from taking over the world. In order to complete his mission, Vagnard needs to sacrifice the life of an Elf and collect two artifacts. Most of the anime revolves around Parn’s advnetures protecting Deedlit, his elven love. It’s quite good and basically the only anime series I can whole heartedily say I liked.

Bottle Fairy
Warning: Bottle Fairy contains 300% of your recommended daily allowance of sugar.

Four fairies, Kururu, Chiriri, Sarara, and Hororo, wish to become human. To do this, they travel to the human world to spend a year learning how to be human. Each 15 minute episode is named after a month of the year and shows the fairies learning about various events and holidays associated with that month. They are aided in their studies by “Senseisan”, a nameless college student (who is usually away at classes until near the end of the episode), and Tama-chan, the elementary school girl who lives next door. There is also a 13th episode where the girls try to… bring Senseisan his lunch.

Maybe it’s just because I’m simple-minded, but I thought this was a rather funny series.

Wicked City, Demon City, Ninja Scroll, Tenjou Tenge, Appleseed, Macross, Ghost in the shell + 2 & Stand alone complexe 1st & 2nd Gig and mostly anything associated with Masamune Shirow and Mamoru Oshi.

Are you doing this on purpose?

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. (Complete. God knows what genre this falls on)
Kyon ftw.

It’s the story of Suzumiya Haruhi, a cute, athletic, smart girl with not a single drop of common sense in her head. In her search of aliens, magicians, time travelers, mysterious organizations and the like (the only things she really finds interesting), she invites/drags/kidnaps several people and creates the S.O.S. Brigade, a club that’s supposed to do… something.

But it’s not really about that, nor the other members of the group which apparently do include a magician alien, a time traveler and a member of a mysterious organization. It’s about Kyon, the first person Haruhi drags in and true protagonist, and his comments regarding all the weird shit that goes around. It’s the kind of show you’re not supposed to think to hard about, because Kyon already does that for you with the add on of some hilarious quotes.

Bare Foot Gen (movie WWII Drama)

.Focus on a young boy and his family who live in Hiroshima right before, during and after the dropping of The Bomb. This is a very serious movie, Schindler’s List Serious I actually cried. Not only is this a great anime its a great film in genreral.

no problem, now fixed

Jubei-Chan: The Ninja Girl

Yagyu Jubei was the best swordsman in the land. When he died, he left behind the Lovely Eyepatch. Whoever wears it gains the power of the great Yagyu Jubei! You think anyone would love to have the Lovely Eyepatch, right? Well then, you don’t know Jiyu Nanohana. Her father calls her Jubei, but she’s not THE Jubei. She just wants to be a normal girl; but when Koinosuke, Yagyu Jubei’s 300-year-old apprentice, offers her the eyepatch, she’s not very willing to wear the thing.

But, Jubei-chan doesn’t have much of a choice. The Ryujoji clan has harbored a grudge against Yagyu Jubei for 300 years, and they have been waiting for him to return. Jubei-chan must use the eyepatch to fight the assassins the Ryujoji send after her, and still manage a normal lifestyle.

Jubei-Chan is something I’d recommend to anyone, as it’s just a simple, funny anime. It’s 13 episodes, and available for less than $40 in most online stores. The dubbing is bad though, and the ending isn’t the best, but it’s still one of my all-time favorites. Really, this summary doesn’t do the series enough justice.

Ouran Highschool Host Club (Humour)

Ouran is an elite exclusive highschool for the sons and daughters of rich people. Haruhi is the only student there to attend on a scholarship. One day while looking for a quite place to study, she stumbles onto the school’s Host Club, based out of the unused Music Room 3. At first she’s mistaken for a boy because of her short hair and school clothes (pants , shirt and sweater since she can’t afford the girl’s uniform). After accidentally destroying an expensive vase, she’s made to work off her debt by being the club’s lapdog.

Eventually all the members figure out she’s a girl but keep up the facade that she’s a boy anyway just to see what everyone else will do around her.

This anime is just about the guys in the club flexing their playa muscles and getting as many girls to like them as they can. Eventually you’ll have the storyarc where all the guys in the club come to like Haruhi for some reason or another and compete for her.

All in all, it’s Love Hina, except with guys. This anime is good for when you want to watch some mindless TV. Or become a 13 year old girl.

The Twelve Kingdoms ( fantasy, medieval, alternate universe)

Youko and her friends are ordinary highschool students. One day they are taken to [another land] through a [giant whirlpool]. Upon arriving in this strange land Youko’s appearance and voice changes. They must overcome a language barrier, giant animals that want to kill them and a king with a secret agenda.

The plot flows well with an engaging storyline. All the token plot devices are accounted for, such as flying animals, summoners and magic. A negative point for anyone starting this series is the vocabulary one has to remember. Words like kaikyaku, taiho and youma are thrown around so much it’s like the creators assumed everyone would know them. That’s why I put brackets around the terms above. I forgot what they call it in the anime. A positive point is the opening theme. It sets up the feel of an ancient era nicely, sort of easing the transition between the viewer’s world and [the world this anime takes place in].

There are 45 episiodes in the series. I’m not even close to half done, but I like what I see.

Sorry for the double-post, but I’d like to add to Cless’s review of Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien since I just finished it.

This has got to be the only anime I’ve seen where the plot focuses on the emotional development of the characters rather than using situations to move them along. It has a serious tone that’s kinda offset by the 30 second skits after the ending theme. Even the ending theme itself tugs at the heartstrings.

If you get bored with how the anime progresses, I recommend you stick it out until the end where it at least gives some emotional closure.

At the end I found myself asking a rather odd question, “What is the legal working age in Japan?”

Since Gunbuster was mentioned, here’s the obligatory mention of it’s sequel, Diebuster.

Genre: Super Robot, Science-Fiction

I didn’t like it when I watched it at first… I felt it didn’t live up to Gunbuster. I gave it another chance, and I ended up enjoying it.

It takes place several thousand years after Gunbuster and starts off with the “main character” (I still feel as if Lark is the lead…) Nono and her dream of becoming a space pilot. Everyone around her disses her dream, and she starts to doubt herself too. “Events” (avoiding spoilers :p) occur, and she eventually does get to space… and that’s where things really begin.

It’s a pretty stylish series, Sadamoto provided some rather outlandish designs into the series’ cast, and it becomes part of the charm of the series. Super robot fans will be pleased by the presence of HOT BLOODED shouting and fight sequences. :suckah:

It’s complete, having recently ended with episode 6 airing a week ago.

I have not see anyone say Record of the Lodoss War. It’s seriously good!

So why don’t you tell. Us. About. It?

Sorry.

Genre: Fantasy

There are thirteen episodes, and though it takes a long time to get into, because at there is a good deal of back tracking in the first three episodes, the action gets pretty good after word.

The story line basically goes, during the very last war of the Gods of Light, and the Gods of mayhem, the last Goddess of Light, and Goddess of Destruction met in a giagantic clash, which devestated the land,. and cut a piece of it off, creating the cursed island of Lodoss.

Thousands of years later, two kings, who at one time were best friends, became engulfed in warfare between their two nations, not realizing that there’s a darker power trying to reawaken the Goddess of Destruction. Typical of this genre, a group of heroes, including a boy with a misterious path, an Elf, a swarf, a thief, a priest of the Sun God, and a mage go out to help the good king, discovering that a cursed mask, has taken over a certain young woman, in an attempt to claim power for the dark witch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Record_of_the_Lodoss_War, Eh this link will tell you a lot more, because after the defeat of the dark witch, there’s a new enemy, and then the mask possess the thief, while the evil king’s high priest kinda stabs everyone in the back in his quest to reqawaken the goddess of destruction.

There are at least two other series based on this name, but the one I’m talking about is Record of the Lodos War the Black Witch.