And Then There Were None

I read the book a month or 2 ago and loved it. It was a great and thrilling mystery that kept me glued to the book and wanting to see how it ended. The problem though is that I have read other Agatha Christie books, watched some of the movies based on her books and they just aren’t as exciting. Now I liked all the Agatha Christie books and movies I have seen, but And Then There Were None is by far my favorite because it was interesting and exciting from the beginning. Normally an Agatha Christie book takes much longer to really hook me. I believe the whole everyone is getting killed off one by one element and the everyone has their own dirty secret element are what really made And Then There Were None so intriguing.

Anyway, my question is what Agatha Christie book did you find most exciting from start to finish? Do you have any book recommendations for someone who really liked And Then There Were None?

Give The ABC Murders and Murder On The Orient Express a try. And stop underlining titles. You’re on a gaming forum.

Fullmetal, I read the book myself for school, and I have to admit, it was the most enjoyable book I’ve read for school. :smiley:

Is it really that good? I always though her books would probably be dated and boring…

And Then There Were None was a page turner, but you may find her other books not as interesting. Have you ever seen a story where some people go to a secluded area and start dying off one by one? Agatha Christie started that genre with And Then There Were None. What I like about the book is that there is no detective, just some ordinary people trying to find out the truth. All ten people have been invited to an island for some reason or another. Once they arrive, they find out their host, U.N. Owen, never arrived and that they can’t leave the island. Later that night, a voice pierces their entertainment claiming that they are all guilty of murder. Soon afterward, one of the guests dies. The remaining 9 guests struggle to find out who is the murderer and the dark secrets each that each of the guests hides. Normally, a mystery can be somewhat boring as the detective tries to look for clues, but And Then There Were None manages to stay intriguing throughout the novel. It does this by the characters trying to figure out who they can trust, how the realization that death is nearing affects the characters, the desperate struggle to find the truth before death claims them all and more. If you don’t like mysteries, then, you may not like this, but this is one of the most thrilling who dune it mysteries I’ve read.

And Then There Were None (aka Ten Little Indians, originally Ten Little Niggers) is definitely her best work. I also heartily recommend Towards Zero; it’s almost as breathless, though not quite as urgent. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Curtain: Poirot’s Last Case are both great for reasons which I can’t go into or I’ll give it away. :sunglasses: The ABC Murders is also good.

I was just tipped off about an author named John Dickson Carr, whose books are in more or less the same period (his earliest are around the same time as her latest) and have the same sort of “puzzle box” feel. I just finished reading The Arabian Nights Murder, and the trick ending was done so masterfully I laughed nonstop for half a minute out of sheer glee.

Curtis: Christie is one of the few mystery writers I can’t get enough of. Her books are almost like puzzles rather than fiction; you’re often given just enough information to, if you’re really excellent, figure most of it out on your own. (Not always though.) Her narrative is short and wry, without giant descriptive passages; very economical. It’s not as riveting as smeone like Pratchett, but most of them (especially the Poirot books) are really good reads.

Personally The Hobbit was the most enjoyable book I read for school (but American Psycho and The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman are at a close second and third).

I’ve read this book back around 7th or 8th grade and really liked it. As such, I always viewed this book as a “young adult” read, to use book store catagorization. Looking back, it seems that the Dan Brown novels are similiar to this with “ordinary” people figuring some mysterious event out. I’d also recomend Michael Crichton’s Prey for people that enjoyed it. I’ve read so many books, so I’m sure I could think of more if you want some more recomendations, but these are the first that came to mind.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I’ve started to read The ABC Murders and will probably give the other books a try later. Of course, more suggestions are welcome.

Also, I heard there were books that copied the 10 secluded people being killed by one of the 10 formula. Do any of you guys know about those books? I would like to read more of that genre, but don’t really know how to look it up.

I second The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and the Murder on the Orient Express. Theres another one, I think it’s called Hickory Dickory Dock - that ones good too.

I…uh…watched the Dr. Who episode with Agatha Christie in it. I recommend that.

Agatha Christies been dead for like, 20 years or something.