Amazing PS2 story!

Okay, probably not amazing, but still pretty cool.

After bitching about how TOD2 stopped working, I manually cleaned the inside of my PS2, slapped the thing back together, and tried FF Origins, which isn’t scratched even in the slightest. I got a Disc Read Error.

Pissed off, I went online and read some of the hardware FAQs at Gamefaqs. I then saw an interesting suggestion: turn the PS2 on its side. Since I had nothing left to lose, I did so and tried FF Origins again. It worked without a hitch.

Next I tried Deus Ex, which was a bit scratched from me playing it without sleep for nearly a week. It worked even better than before. And finally, to finish it off, I tried TOD2. It worked!

The moral: Gamefaqs can solve anything.

I might have to try that with Robot Alchemic Drive, which hasn’t worked in a long time. walks away angered because he can’t play R.A.D, which was super cool

Um…were you playing it with it setting vertically?

Cro: Originally, it was horizontal. Now it’s vertical.

Hmm. I always leave mine horizontal and it plays all of my games fine. Oh well.

Yes. Mine use to be like that but now I have it up and down and it doesn’t even give me any trouble.

Does anyone other than me find it disturbing that they paid $299 for something that has to be on its side to work properly, if then?

And what if it was the Gamecube? It’s a fucking CUBE! You’d be screwwwwwwwed!

A little, but if it works I don’t have a problem with it.

Originally posted by MegamanX2K
And what if it was the Gamecube? It’s a fucking CUBE! You’d be screwwwwwwwed!

uh… you move it around on it’s sides until you find a spot where it’ll work… I gusses^_^;

I have a friend who’s dreamcast would run better if he turned it upside-down. :slight_smile:

You know what’s funny? Apply X’s statement, but subtract the FUCKING WORKING PART, BECAUSE I’M ABOUT TO TURN THE R.A.D CD INTO A MAKE SHIFT KNIFE AND KILL EVERYONE WHO WORKS FOR SONY!!! Okay… I’m done venting.

Speaking of game problems… which I guess we were… does anyone have a spare Legend of Mana? Mine got scratched by a careless friend. I have cleaned it approximately 172654843957395 times. I may be off by 1 or 2. Got any ideas? Other than buy a new one? That game is impossibly rare. Like a Final Fantasy 1 cartridge.

If it only plays games on its side or upside-down, your PS2 might need a voltage adjustment. If it only has problems with either PS1 or PS2 games, then you can be almost certain your problem is voltage-related.

Here’s a good doc that explains (amongst other things) how to alter the laser voltage. This fixed my PS2 right up when it refused to read my PS1 games.
http://faqs.ign.com/articles/390/390535p1.html

Originally posted by Psi_Omega
That game is impossibly rare. Like a Final Fantasy 1 cartridge.
Me: BAH! I need to find FF1… -.-
My nextdoor neighbour: I have it.
Me: OMFG HOOK ME UP!
HE GIVES IT TO ME

HEhehe ^^;

Originally posted by Psi_Omega
That game is impossibly rare. Like a Final Fantasy 1 cartridge.

I have one. Keeping it for memory’s sake. I’ll probably never sell it.

I always had my PS2 on the vertical side, it fits snugly between the piece of my drawer and my TV like that, no problem…yet.

Neato.
I haven’t had a problem with my GameCube yet so I haven’t had to turn it vertical, or upside down; it stands the right way up still: Which is probably just as well.

But GameCube is impossibly small, and Nintendosooo much more reliable than Sony (if expensive everything-sold-seprately-buy-it-now bastards).

Anyway, 1 year guarentees take care of everything.:slight_smile:

I had the same prob w/ playing Tekken 4 and with disk 3 of FF8…freaky software thing, I guess. O_o

I always hear these horror stories about how PS2s stop working becasue of dust and other junk after a few years. Which is strange becasue I’ve had mine since it was released, in an extremly dusty house, and have transported it many times between here and my father’s hous, and I’ve yet to have any problems whatsoever. Hell, my friends house is probably worse and it didn’t stop working until his dog pulled it off of his TV, twice.