Am I the only one here cool enough to watch star trek?

I’m a big Star Trek fan myself. Unfortunately, lack of cable television and lack of Star Trek on local channels means that I’ve missed a lot. :frowning: However, the occasional time I do have cable, I try to make up for it. Unfortunately I’ve missed over two seasons worth of Enterprise, and can’t really judge for myself whether I like it or not. I’m trying to catch up now, though.

Have they met the Romulans in Enterprise? If not, it could be that it was the Romulans who didn’t have the capability to transmit images, not Starfleet. And did the line from TOS state there were no screens or just that there was only audio communication? I’m sure I have the episode around here somewhere…

Just thought I’d throw my two cents in…

I used to watch The Next Generation with my mom all the time. She keeps telling me I can’t be a real dork until I start watching it 24/7.

I am not a fan of Star Trek, but I feel the need to point this out.

www.khaaan.com

I 've seen that Enterise, They had audio Only and most of the time there consetrating on Archer and Reed expressions.

Big Nutter

I was stranded on a planet, Just me and Spock
We met a nasty nazi alien who locked our asses up
We found a hunk of crystal and a metal piece of bed
We made a laser phaser gun and shot him in the head

Bust a move, Tog

I was standing on the bridge when Sulu came to me
His eyes were full of tears he said “Captain, can’t you see
the ship is gonna blow do something I beseech”
I grabbed a tribble and some chewing gum and stopped the warp core breach

And I say,
Bounce a graviton particle beam off the main deflector dish
Thats the way we do things, lad, we’re making shit up as we wish
The Klingons and the Romulans pose no threat to us
'Cause if we find we’re in a bind we just make some shit up

And though he’s just a child, and some think him a twit
Wesley is the master when it comes to making up some shit
He’s the guy you want with you when you go out in space
Now if only he could beam those pimples off his face

And if you’re at a party on the starship Enterprise
And the karaoke player just plain old up and dies
Set up a neutrino field inside a can of peas
Hold on to Geordi’s visor and sing into Data’s knee

And I say
Thats the way we do things lad, we’re making shit up as we wish

Sisko’s on a mission to go no bloody place
He loiters on a space station above Bajoran space
The wormhole’s opened up and now they come from near and far
We’ll keep the booze but please send back the fucking Jem-hadar

What is with the Klingons, remember in the day
They looked like Puerto Ricans and they dressed in gold lame
Now they look like heavy metal rockers from the dead
With leather pants and frizzy hair and lobsters on their heads

And I say

Well, I was stuck on Voyager, pounding on the door
When suddently it dawned on me I’ve seen this show before
Perhaps I’m in a warp bubble and slightly out of phase
'Cause it was way back in the sixties when they called it “Lost in Space”

We were looking for a way to make the ratings soar
So we orchestrated an encounter with the Borg
Normally you’d think that that would get us into shit
But this one has a smashing ass and a lovely set of tits

And I say
'Cause if we find we’re in a bind we’re totally screwed but nevermind
We’ll pull something out of our behinds, we just make some shit up

Yay for Voltaire!

DS9 and Voy have always been tied for my favourite series. Enterprise absolutely SUCKS in the fact that they break cannon way too often. They have the excuse that Picard + TNG crew helped with the launching of the Phoenix, but…

1. THey introduced the borg in Enterprise. It’s understandable, but now they’re going to have to be spontaneously forgotten, and Archer’s logs about it lost as well.
  2. They invented the Denobulans. No way in the few years between FC and Ent could an entire race come into existance and become sentient and create warp drive from an event local to the Sol system.
  3. They use the TNG Warp Scale. They should be using the TOS one.
  4. They made first contact with the klingons look like a party compared to how Picard once described it
  5. In TNG-“Relics”, the computer said that there were only five ships named Enterprise
    U.S.S. Enterprise NCC 1701
    U.S.S. Enterprise NCC 1701 - A
    U.S.S. Enterprise NCC 1701 - B
    U.S.S. Enterprise NCC 1701 - C
    U.S.S. Enterprise NCC 1701 - D
    Now there’s the U.S.S. Enterprise NX-01 to add on to that list.

And there are a few other things that are picky. For instance, on a galaxy map, the distance between Earth and the Klingon homeworld is something like 300 light years or something. However, The Enterprise, at Warp 5 (equivalent to 214c) is able to make it there in less than a year.

Couple of technical tidbits here-

-visual contact- the basic technology is there for visual contact now, provided the two transmitters and receivers are compatible enough. Presumably, the Vulcans gave the Enterprise the correct frequencies for all the other species out there, but as they didn’t have the Romulan’s to hand, there’s no way they’d be able to cummincate.

-Xelo makes everal very good points there (not sure what he’s talking about regarding Phlox’s race, though), except for the warp scale thing- they never actually go fast enough to determine which scale they’re working to (I think the fastest ship seen so far can only do warp 7)

As for the franchise itself… I can’t get enough of it :smiley: I’ve seen all of TNG and DS9 and loved virtually every second of it, I could probably read you the script of Wrath of Khan off by heart, I’ve seen as much of TOS as has been repeated over here (i’ll be getting the DVDs for sure), I didn’t really like Voyager that much, the way they castrated the Borg in the finale was inexcusable IMO, and Enterprise… well, Star Trek series usually hit top form in season 4, and by all accounts, season 3 of Enterprise has been a blinder so I’ve got hope that it could be one of the best :smiley:

Oh, and I have half of the animated series on tape somewhere too :-p

I’m pretty sure Kirk states that there was no visual communication.

Flipping through my dads book, I think I’m talking about the first encounter with Klingons, but I’m really not sure anymore. The episode ended with the Enterprise trying to outrun a mega gun (or something) that was being fired at the Enterprise. Eventually, they out run the blast, which just dissipates into space. It is noted that no one had encountered Klingons in many years, and that the last time they had encountered each other there wasn’t visual communication so that neither race actually knew what the other looked like. It could still be Romulans, but I’m not sure at all.

Xelo - Wasn’t the Enterprise in First Contact the Enterprise E? I think it was.

Wow, my dads book has instructions for 3D chess…har har.

There has been no mention of Denobulans throughout the other Star Trek series. Then, all of a sudden, BOOM! You’ve got the race in the past.

And the Warp Scale thing is because about three months ago there was a live chat session with Rick Berman on Startrek.com, and he explicitly said that the numbers they were using were from the New Warp Scale, because they thought that more fans were familiar with it.

EDIT: Yeah Sorc, I was thinking of the TNG Episode Relics, and the computer explicitly said “There are five ships that held the name Enterprise”. Six now.

Enterprise is silly.
And all a product of Q!

Stone Trek!
At least it’s good flash.

I liked to watch the Next Generation or whatever it was with Captain Picard for awhile when I was younger. Then after the movie Generations i watched Deep Space 9 too and a bit of the one after it. Not on a regular basis though.

The original Star Trek, although entertainingly stupid, should be removed from the serious timelines. In Generations Picard is all like “OH MY GOD IT’S Q!” and Q’s like “Yeah! I’m all powerful.” and the Star Fleeters are like “OMG!! WTF?”…when back in Kirk’s day they encountered a god like being on every freaking planet they went to. That and every show with different incarnations have problems in the continuity.

I don’t mean to change the subject, but this is a Star trek thread and recently I have argued with several people over which movie is the best. I say “The Undiscovered Country.” SSChaz says “The Wrath of Khan.”

I agree that the old warp standard should be used, and they show old episodes now, plenty of people should be familar enough with it.

I also have this problem, every time I see Scott Bakula, I look around for Al and Ziggy.

Grand: The Motion Picture.
Entertaining: The Voyage Home.
Exciting: First Contact.

Ugh…I cannot stand Star Trek. When I was 13 or 14, I managed to watch a few episodes of the Next Generation, but other than that, I find all Star Trek series and films very boring.

:thud:

Best all-round movie: First Contact. You can’t argue with Picard going toe-to-toe with more Borg than you can shake a tree trunk at. However, I still hold a very special place in my heart for the Wrath of Khan, simply for the fact that it ditched the grand scale of the Motion Picture in favour of some great story telling (come on, face it, who isn’t moved by the end of it? “of all the souls I have encountered, his was the most human”). That and Ricardo Montalban is cool. :slight_smile:

Hey Perc, did you know that Gene Roddenberry originally created Star Trek to show how humans could someday put aside our prejudice against each other, eliminate aggressive violence, and become better people?

That is his real chest by the way.