Akira Kurosawa movies...

Yeah, the novel Red Harvest, though I think Kurosawa’s version improves on the source material in that particular case. Despite being a bit of a hack, Hammett provided inspiration for a lot of classic films – The Maltese Falcon and The Thin Man are both classics of the old Hollywood style.

You need to smarten up Hades. Man, EVERYBODY has seen those movies, even people who don’t like watching foreign films have seen those movies. Great job being a mediocre Akira Kurosawa fan. Jesus Christ, maybe you should try thinking outside of the box a little bit and watch something outside of what will make you popular in your little college indie clique. Like uh…well I don’t know…how about One Wonderful Sunday, or The Most Beautiful. Watching just Seven Samurai and Sanjuro and saying you are an Akira Kurosawa fan is a fucking SHORTCUT to pretending that you are a film buff, and for someone who proclaims to have good tastes about the arts like music and film, you should be seriously ashamed of yourself. What, did you take a class on “Asian Cinema” in college and now you think you’re an expert or something? Teachers aren’t going to tell you anything that couldn’t have just as easily been picked up by watching the movies themselves.

In fact, fuck, you’ve probably never even watched an Akira Kurosawa movie BACKWARDS. Why the hell should you only watch a movie going forwards? What, just because they’ve been doing that since film was invented means that we need to abide by their RIDICULOUS CONVENTIONS? That is fucking bullshit. In fact, I go even one step further. I take akira kurosawa movie files, open them up in ifilm, cut them and chop them into one minute segments and then reorder them in a random fashion and then I watch them. Now that is some serious visual dissonance, but fuck all those other people who only watch movies straight forward. They are just goddamn followers and I AM THE TRUE GENIUS HERE.

In fact, whoa, I just got another trailblazing idea. I’m gonna take two akira kurosawa movies, chop each of them up into one second segments, then I’m going to recombine the two into a random fashion to create an even more dissonant masterpiece. No, I’ll go one step further. I will isolate the soundtracks, break them up into one second segments and then reorder them on top of the film in a random fashion so that not only does it create visual dissonance but also sonic dissoncnance as well. LOL HADES YOU THINK YOU KNOW ABOUT DISSONANCE FUCK BRO YOU DON’T KNOW JACK SHIT I 0WN YOU “BROSPEH” maybe after you have tried all of this stuff you might just have a sliver of integrity enough left to ever again show your face in these forums. peace out rpgclassics

I saw parts of Ikiru last night. It seemed pretty cool. I guess I caught the end but they did mention stomach cancer a few times. I saw most of Throne of Blood and that was damn impressive. I was lucky to tune in right at the some of the crazy moments. Really cool costume design. I saw parts of Hidden Fortress as well. I wasn’t paying 100% attention to it so I didn’t catch much of it. Seems a lot more subtle than Throne of Blood.

I’m looking forward to next Tuesday. Still a bit choked I missed Dodes 'Ka-Den… that’s at way too strange of an hour for anyone to see it. Time to rent it!

HAHA! William S. Burroughs would be proud.

I like to cut the visuals from a couple together, and then the sound from a couple together, then put the visuals and the sound together, then cut that up at random intervals, and then switch between forwards and reversed for random sections.

I’ve actually been to the restaurant where Hammet often wrote, and in which the Maltese falcon from the film is displayed.

posted twice

I agree on how amazing Lady Macbeth was in Throne of Blood. I especially enjoyed how she shuffled eerily out of a dark room. That was one of the few movies I watched in my cinema class that I actually enjoyed.

The part at the very end of Throne of Blood with the trees freaked me out, man.

Hah, yeah. They did that excellently. Toho studios had some of the world’s best SFX back in those days.

Starting at 8:00 tonight, more Akira Kurosawa! On TCM they have: The Bad Sleep Well 8:00 PM (5:00 Pacific), followed by High and Low 10:45 PM ET (7:45 Pacific) , Red Beard at 1:15 AM ET(10:15 PM Pacific), I Live In Fear at 4:30 AM ET(1:30 Pacific), and Scandal ET at 6:15 AM (3:15 Pacific).

Unfortunately, since I just started a new job, I’ll probably only see Thee Bad Sleep Well, if even that. It figures that I’d get a job during Kurosawa month (:-p).

Shit, wished I read that last post earlier GAP. :confused:

EDIT: Just noticed that they’re on all night. I can still catch some of them if I can stay up long enough(unlikely).

I also had no idea Kurosawa made so many movies.

I just finished watching Red Beard, and while I would like to continue watching them these movies tend to run pretty damn long. After awhile they’ll start to run together if I try to watch them all, especially given that these are my first times watching them.

As for personal comments of the movies I’ve seen thus far.

Unfortunately, I came into The Bad Sleep Well somewhere in the middle where the one guy is running around town to pick up a stash of cash, then gets set up for the apparent lack of it. I suppose, I came in early enough to almost immediately peg it as an interesting interpretation of Hamlet.

High and Low was simply awesome in the amount of detail used in both the shakedown and in the dragnet. I need to see more crime dramas, especially ones that are well written, and well directed.

And Red Beard epitomized why I had to stop at it as the first half of the movie left me dragging. Granted I was enjoying myself by the end but it took too long to get into, and I don’t feel like staying up well into the morning without doing at least some homework tonight. That said, Toshiro Mifune kicking ass, even as a doctor, is always a good thing.

Yeah, I could go into more detail but I don’t feel like being much of a ‘Spergin Burger’ tonight.

Unfortunately, since I just started a new job, I’ll probably only see Thee Bad Sleep Well, if even that. It figures that I’d get a job during Kurosawa month (:-p).

Look at it this way, GAP: now you can afford the money for a TIVO, so next time you won’t miss anything! :slight_smile:

And don’t worry, I intend to catch these movies myself someday, somehow.

One time I had this ship and I didn’t even know I could ride around the oceans and take things from other ships because there are no police out on the ocean.

fuck you faggots

small text here

Ramza do you enjoy real life?