AIDS drugs

AIDS drugs don’t get rid of AIDS. They keep people alive without getting rid of the disease in its entirety.

I have to point out the profound irony in keeping people alive in such a situation where they can continue to spread a deadly uncurable disease. I’m not saying we shouldn’t deny anyone the right to live a longer life, but it is ironic, imho.

Around four years ago, a friend’s sister, who was also a friend of mine, died from AIDS. She was given drugs and was in the hospital for nearly a year. Due to the side effects, she lost her hair, and several other things happened. However, it only kept her alive longer, and she was still capable of spreading the disease.

I don’t believe the AIDS drugs are truly effective. Sure, they grant a person a longer life, but at what cost? Other people can easily become infected, and there are side effects to those same drugs.

But, people don’t DIE from AIDS, do they? In actuality, don’t they die from other simplistic diseases BECAUSE of AIDS? How do those drugs even work? Can someone actually live happily on those drugs? Would anyone really WANNA live life like that?

Yeah, In A Situation Like That It’s Pretty Sad How Death Is The Better Of The Options. As Opposed To Being A Vegtable, Which Is Really Not Living At All…

it should be the infected persons prerogative to decide whether or not he wants to live, not some bueruocrat’s or a kid on a message board’s.

(no offense intended, as i am indeed a kid on a message board)

I don’t know, Magic Johnson has been HIV postive for what now? Over ten years? He still looks as healthy as he was. I think if you’re rich, you can get enough of those expensive drugs to still live decently.

Seems to me they just make medication for AIDS in the first place to make money. Same with all the AIDS benifits and such. I mean, bleeding hearted Americans will go with anything if it is to “help” people, so of course this would be exploited to its fullest extent if there would be a profit. America is just a big corparation anyway. But that’s just how I see it.

AIDS isn’t easily transmutable, so it’s not like those people are walking disease-cannons or anything.

Originally posted by Skankin’ Garbage
But, people don’t DIE from AIDS, do they? In actuality, don’t they die from other simplistic diseases BECAUSE of AIDS? How do those drugs even work? Can someone actually live happily on those drugs? Would anyone really WANNA live life like that?

That sort of came out wrong; not directly from AIDS, but because of the drugs, the said person was kept alive for a year.

By the way, the “digga” in your sig is a pretty red X now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Shit, that site (www.diggers.com.au) is down. Damn, now I might have to find a new one :frowning:

It looks like it’s back up now, you might want to keep it somewhere else on the web incase the site goes down like completely

As for the AIDS issue, it’s really a matter of choice if they want to take expensive drugs often. After a while though, with a bunch of medical costs building up you may want to consider just dying

That is not surprising. So long as a lack of education about AIDS and/or recklessness exists amongst the population, the virus will continue to thrive. Unfortunately, some reckless persons might get the wrong idea about the drugs and believe that they are HIV negative upon taking a certain dosage of them, and thereupon engage in sharing of drugs or casual sex, perfectly unaware of the ultimate results of their actions.

edit: sorry Percy , edited instead of quoting your post

…and then start dividing up their share of drugs amongst their other infected friends, causing AIDS to spread even faster…

I guess we’re screwed either way (pun viciously intended).

The sad reality is, some people are so scared of death, that they’ll do anything to put it off, even if it means having a miserable life.
Some do it out of the hope that they can live long enough for new drugs to appear that get rid of AIDS.
And there might even be a few who are just kinda sick in the head and wish to spread it around.
Who knows? Everyone’s different.

I remember hearing in school somewhere that the reason these AIDS drugs cost so much is because there are so many of them. In order for these drugs to work you have to take like 20 or more different pills on a very strict timing schedule. That would make sense in the Magic Jordan case. He’d have the money for them.

"That is not surprising. So long as a lack of education about AIDS and/or recklessness exists amongst the population, the virus will continue to thrive. Unfortunately, some reckless persons might get the wrong idea about the drugs and believe that they are HIV negative upon taking a certain dosage of them, and thereupon engage in sharing of drugs or casual sex, perfectly unaware of the ultimate results of their actions. "

Now we’re getting somewhere. Lack of education, esp in highly infected areas already cause problems. So people will throw their money at the problem but will it ultimately solve it? Perhaps, perhaps not. I’m not too encouraged because of how fast its been spreading and the unconventional ways people have tried “curing” themselves of it.

Anyone who’s taken a biochem or a molecular bio class will understand how hard it can be to target with great specificity; HIV is really hard to target.

I believe those drugs will get more and more effective in a way that they will have weakr side effects in a near future.

The bad side is, all research for a definitive cure is suffocated because companies find so much more profitable to keep selling drugs to a person for the rest of his/her life than curing that person at once.

Of course, in their heart of hearts, not many a medical engineer, scientist, or doctor wishes to discover a cure-all drug/treatment, otherwise they would be “worthless” to society.

Many get into the profession because they want to “help sick people.” but many just get into it cuz it pays well.

Obadiah, that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen you post. You have absolutely no idea the diversity of disease and problems there are in the world. Diseases and disorders don’t all work the same way. Someone with Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s has a very different problem from someone with AIDS. And viruses (or virii) such as HIV work very differently from bacteria and these are different from protists (like malaria). It is IMPOSSIBLE to have a cure all. You have NO idea the amount of research there is around the world to find cures. And if someone finds a cure for something major, that person usually gets institutions named after them , nobel prizes and a variety of other things. Its not a fucking conspiracy against the world. There are so many researchers working for PEANUTS on important stuff like diseases, its not funny. Its insulting you’d degrade the importance of their work and sacrifices like that.

And yeah, there are MDs out there that do it for the money, but it is a very selective and violent process to get your MD, (more so your specialization). People that don’t care about what they go into don’t make it. For example, surgeons have to work 60 hour shifts during training.

The only cure all from pain is death.

Originally posted by Sinistral
The only cure all from pain is death.

Or a brain surgery, for that matter.

(but then if you didn’t feel pain, you could cut yourself somewhere and you’d only perceive it when you had already bled to hypothermia).