AH! ZOMBIES!!!

Its been a while since I wrote anything, so I figured I’d just jump into a story, see where it goes. I’m writing this off the dome, figuring it out as I go. So if it seems a little raw, thats cause I wrote it 2 minutes ago. So, without further ado…

Necrophobia

Jake woke with a start and looked around his small studio apartment. The power was out again and darkness filled the room. Damn old wiring. He looked at the watch sitting on his nightstand. 2:30am. He was having the dream again. The dead come to life. He got up and wiped the sleep out of his eyes. No use going back to sleep, he thought. I’ll only have the same dream. The vision of cold dead eyes still lingered in his head. He took a pill out of the medicine cabinet and swallowed it, trying to shake the image. He walked over to his window and lifted the shade. The streets were empty and silent. I’ll go for a walk, he decided. Grabbing his keys, he left his apartment and went down to the street.

When Jake had walked three blocks, he noticed that something was not quite right. Even this late at night, there were usually people out. So far, he had not seen another living thing. Calm down, he told himself and kept walking. As he passed a dark alley, he heard someone moaning. Immediately, his mind jumped back to his dream. Gray, rotting flesh filled his vision. He could almost smell decay. Jake clenched his eyes shut and chanted the line he had been taught to say. “There are no zombies. This is just in my imagination.” He repeated the line around 20 times until he felt a little better. He opened his eyes and looked back down the alley. In the darkness he could see the figure of a man hunched over something. Probably some homeless person, he thought, but still he stared into the alley. Again, a moan came from the shadowy figure. A chill ran down Jake’s spine. He took a step into the alley, determined to prove to himself that it was not a zombie. He took a few more steps and he was about ten feet from the groaning bum. Suddenly, the man was very still. Jake stopped in his tracks, mind racing. The figure slowly turned his head to look in Jake’s direction. Horror flooded into his mind when Jake saw the face of the man in the alley. He saw the image from his dream, only this time he wasn’t dreaming. He stared in terror into the cold, yellow eyes of the alley-dweller. Blood dripped from the mouth of the man, his jaw chewing mindlessly. Jake looked from the undead face toward where he had been crouching. A half-eaten body lay in the alley in a pool of blood. He tried to scream, but could not make a sound. He was frozen in terror, unable to move from where he stood. The zombie slowly got to its feet and started walking towards the fresh prey. Another moan escaped from the depths of the zombie’s gullet. The sound seemed to snap Jake from a trance and he turned and ran. He ran for blocks and blocks, never once looking back.

Jake ran for as long as he could until he finally had to stop and rest. “They’re real. They’re actually real,” he said out loud. “All those times Dr. Lawrence told me it was all in my head. I wish he could have seen that.” An image of his therapist being eaten alive jumped into his head and Jake shuddered involuntarily. He looked around, trying to get his bearings. He hadn’t been paying attention to which direction he was running and now he was in a part of the city he didn’t recognize. I need to get back to my apartment, he thought. He knew roughly which direction to go and started walking. As he passed a park, he saw a small group of people and instinctually knew they were the walking dead. He ran down the street, using trees and bushes as cover, trying not to be seen. He needed to arm himself, and for that he would need to get back to his apartment. But when he reached his street, a new wave of panic gripped him. Three people stood on the stoop to his building. It was possible that they were still human, but something in their movements tipped Jake off to the truth. He needed a plan and he needed one quick.

To be continued…

Part 2 so soon? Yeah. Cause thats how I roll.

Jake scanned his surroundings for anything he could use as a weapon. His only luck was a metal trash can and a broken tree branch. Grateful for anything, he grabbed them and prepared for the worst. Steeling his nerve, he stuck the branch through one of his belt loops and picked up the trash can. He charged the zombies with trash can held over his head. He thought he saw a look of surprise on the face of one of them, right before he smashed the trash barrel into him. He grabbed the branch from his belt and swung wildly. He connected with the skull of another zombie with a satisfying crack. Digging in his pockets, he got out his keys and shoved one into the door of the building. Luckily it was the right one and the door swung open. He dragged himself inside while hands grabbed at his clothes, trying to pull him back outside. He slammed the door behind him and ran headlong up the stairs.

Finally back in his apartment, Jake leaned back against the door, trying to catch his breath. The power was still out so he couldn’t check the news to see what was happening in the outside world. Luckily, he was prepared for this scenario. His whole life he knew that the undead were coming. It was only a matter of time, and the time had come. Paranoid delusions, Dr. Lawrence had told him. It was a symptom of schizophrenia, something he was recently diagnosed with. “Who’s delusional now?” he said to himself.

He opened his closet and grabbed a duffel bag, throwing it beside his bed. He walked over to his bed and flipped the mattress. An arsenal stared back at him. A 12-gauge shotgun, an assault rifle, various pistols and a large machete laid in their hiding spot, under his mattress. He grabbed one pistol, put it in his belt and shoved the rest of the weapons in the duffel bag. He went to his pantry and started putting MREs into the bag too. He had gotten them cheap from an Army surplus store. He then went to his dresser and opened the drawer where he kept his boxes of ammo. There was a sharp knock at the door. Jake froze. “They’re here already,” he almost screamed. “No, wait,” he said to himself. “Zombies don’t knock.” He walked to the door and looked out the peephole. It was his cute neighbor, Kate. He quickly opened the door.

“Hey,” said Kate, yawning. “Are you hearing the commotion outside? It woke me up from a deep sleep. What time is it, by the way?” Jake looked down the hallway behind her, making sure they hadn’t made it inside the building yet. He looked back at her.

“Come inside,” said Jake, grabbing Kate’s hand. “Its not safe out here.” He pulled her into the apartment and closed the door. She looked around at the mess of his apartment. She saw the gun in his belt and got nervous. “Listen,” he started. “You’re not going to believe this, but the dead have risen and are walking the earth.” He paused to let it sink in.

Kate looked at him with a mix of fear and pity. “Have you been taking your medication, Jake?” He stared back at her, completely expecting that response.

“Yes. I just took one actually. Look, I know how this sounds, but I’m not making this up. I saw one eating someone in an alley. And I had to fight a bunch of them just to get back in the building!” He was starting to get hysterical.

“Jake, calm down,” said Kate. “You’re scaring me.” She backed up towards the door, ready to bolt.

Jake took a deep breath and continued. “You should be scared, but not of me. The fucking zombies!” He stopped himself when he saw how terrified Kate looked. “Ok. What if I could prove it to you? I can take you to the alley where I saw the first one.”

Kate considered this, wanting to give Jake the benefit of doubt. “Listen,” she started. “If there are zombies, and I do mean IF, then it isn’t safe to be on the streets.” She paused. “And if there aren’t zombies, then it isn’t safe to be around you.” She looked at Jake with a sad look in her eyes. “I’m sorry. I can’t go with you.”

Jake returned the sad look and let out a sigh. He took the pistol from his belt and pressed it into Kate’s hand. “Please, just take this. Go back to your apartment and lock the door. Don’t answer it for anyone, not even me.” There was a silent moment as they stared at each other.

“Ok,” she whispered. She looked ready to cry. “Please be careful.” Kate took one last look at Jake and left the apartment. Jake continued to pack the supplies until the bag was full. He glanced out the window and saw that a small crowd was gathered in front of his building. Damn zombies, he thought. It was time to go downstairs and say hello.

More tomorrow… maybe.