A TEST!

A normal person has an RQ of .8 since (V means flow, volume over time) VO2 = 200ml/min , VCO2 = 160ml/min.

His body is therefore absorbing 40ml/min more gas than he is venting.

He is retaining 57.6L of gas every 24 hours. Why doesn’t he explode?

Uh, if I had to guess I’d say it’s because some of the gas is used to create energy (read, oxygen).

Also, that reminds me, you know how we breathe out loads of CO2. Well I’m curious, does the oxygen bond with the carbon in our cells or what?

Because we fart.

A wizard did it.

Because of of God’s will!

That gas is incorporated into the body, so the gas ceases being a gas and has its volume reduced a lot?

Since, you know, 22.4 liters of vapor water become 18ml when they go from gas to liquid form, I figure the same goes with oxygen in our bodies, except that instead of being pure it is used as pieces for proteins, plus mioglobine eats up a lot of oxygen too.

Oxygen gas’ density is 32 g/mol, and carbon dioxide is 44 g/mol, so the ratio of mass for 1 L of oxygen:CO2 is 0.72

So, you’re actually retaining some mass, I guess.

I don’t know how the process of respiration works, but it probably produces by-products other than carbon dioxide. And Cless was on the right track too, it’s not about volume but rather mass.

We don’t fart 50 liters of gas a day, firstly, and secondly, the respiratory system is separate from the digestive system.

The pressures and temperatures to liquify oxygen can’t be generated by the human body. Furthermore, the volume presented is an ideal gas at STP, so that wouldn’t apply anyway.

Gas volumes are very important because holding in (since we can’t compress) 50 liters of a given gas would generate tremendous amounts of pressure, that’s why you’d explode eventually.

Keep trying guys <.<

Cold fusion.

Well let’s see…respiration is used to break down sugars into energy,CO2 and H2O. The hydrogens left over from the ETC go to the electron acceptor, oxygen, to form water. While we might be gaining 40 mL of oxygen per minute, water is also being released out of the body through the mouth (though I don’t know how much…). I’d say that any excess water not relased through the mouth would end up in the blood stream and eventually be released through the urinary system. I don’t know if this is right…but it’s my best guess (and it answers Cav’s question).

Isn’t it because we don’t use 100% of the O2 we inhale? We also exhale some, is that the 40ml? Just a guess.

And that 57 liters of gas is somewhere around 2 or 3 moles. The atomic mass of an oxygen molecule is what, 32? So that’s maybe 100 grams of oxygen. The converted into water hypothesis sounds reasonable; it sounds like maybe oxygen is converted into approximately 100 mL of water each day. I think Ren was correct except for that the oxygen would mostly become water and not be incorporated into proteins.

I didn’t want to say Ren was right because he didn’t specifically say water, but Vorpy and Ackbar are right that part of the oxygen is integrated into water, which the body excretes either through respiration, perspiration or urination.

O2 + (-CH2-) -> CO2 + H2O + heat. (not balanced)

I say -CH2- because .8 means the guy’s mostly burning fats. The RQ for someone burning fat is .7 and 1 if its carbs.

You stole my answer. :frowning:

Clearly not, since I posted first.

My friends think It would of worked for me. The WindyTWIT Nickname I use in some places, I didn’t choose.

Maybe YOU don’t!

Oh, this one is easy. We talk.

Talking is controlled exhalation. Talking doesn’t make you breathe out less except under pathological conditions, where you retain more air in your lungs like emphysema. Then again in emphysema, the air retained and the CO2 that builds up leads to a respiratory acidosis (your blood and body fluids get more acidic, bad).