A professional author's site, with great info about agents, editors and writing

Just thought I’d share this, since I’m sure I’m not the only one 'round these parts who hope to write professionally someday.

Holly Lisle’s Writer’s FAQ.

Now I admit that looking at the scans of her covers made me go “gen-<I>e</I>-ric fantasy!”, but it may just be that she’s not big in Sweden. However, the tips for writing and how to get published are really good, and I’m glad I got this place recommended to me. She’s got some expressions which are a hoot to read, too.

This is some good stuff! I’ll remember this page.

Sounds awesome.
[strike]Must check it ou… OMG!MYANIMEDOWNLOADISFINISHED!Seeya.[/strike]

Sorry 'bout that, got a bit distracted. ^^

I mostly read the “About writing” part since I’m not interested in editors and going professional and all that.
I’m just writing because it’s fun, and if someone starts setting up deadlines and rules for how I’m supposed to write (rules beyond those dictated by common sense at least) the fun would just be gone.

Sadly, her way of writing doesn’t really have much in common with mine, so there wasn’t really much for me there. :confused:

She knows about writing and publishing popular fiction, since that’s what she’s done, but she knows less about other subjects.

In particular, one Q/A segment is about how worthless college education is, how it’s designed to pay experts and produce conformists, and so on. She then describes how all she needed to learn was to “avoid the passive voice,” “eliminate adjectives and verbs,” and a few other tidbits. This may be enough to produce a generic fantasy novel, but, as serious literature, her novel would probably be laughed at. Maybe college education is designed to make people “conform,” but only in the same way that she has “conformed” to “avoid the passive” and eliminate over-description. If anything, college education in the humanities should give more standards to which students can conform, to avoid the flabby eccentricity of common fantasy.

Moreover, I find it odd that someone who attended a “two year community college” in “nursing” would presume to know how valuable a college education can be.

Xwing: Very true, I got a bit stuck on that too. Then again, people do work differently, and she’s apparently been successful in her way - good for her, but others won’t agree. I’m still keeping up my literature studies :wink:
I have this fascinating collection of interviews with various authors about how they work (in Swedish, sadly…), and they’re all different. One goes “I refuse to read my old works, once I’m done, I’m DONE and they’re GONE”, another goes “It’s important to look back on what you’ve written before to keep your characterization intact, and learn from old mistakes you may have done” and so on and so forth. Really, there’re no real answers.