A new poem from me: a rondeau.

No sir. I fully understood the poem even with out you explaning it to us. I loved it in fact. It sent me a feeling.

Yours is good too Steve!:kissy:

Originally posted by Chris-chris
No sir. I fully understood the poem even with out you explaning it to us. I loved it in fact. It sent me a feeling.

What is your interpretation? I am curious to know.

Somehow I doubt that Chris-Chris fully understood every historical allusion

Im interested in your usage of a triplit rhyming scheme with the word ‘braid’ (lines 3-5), that was a bit out of the ordinary, although I don’t read very many roundels.

When I read it, it reminded me a bit of Ophelia, from Shakespeare’s Hamlet. Ophelia, a simple and somewhat common girl, held this power over Hamlet, who was in a sense, his light at the end of his perilous tunnel. Hamlet didn’t understand why he felt this way, and even said so either before or during one of his soliliquoys.

So yea.

I gussed that the guy had a crush on the girl once I knew what the words meant. I read alot of Shakespeare, so I knew what it meant.

Originally posted by Chris-chris
I gussed that the guy had a crush on the girl once I knew what the words meant. I read alot of Shakespeare, so I knew what it meant.

Well…I guess that you could call it a crush… The speaker is more attracted to her beauty, though; he does not know her personally. Hence, I think of more as just attraction. I think of a ‘crush’ as coming from actual acquaintance with the other person.

I tried to make the identity and character of the maiden the main focus of the poem, though, not the romantic interest, but if the romantic element in the poem touches you most, then I am happy that it did.

Cool i didn’t catch onto that double meaning there you spoke of in that spoiler. Gr too many times in english of not paying attention > _ < or well history either blah.

This poem kicks my ass. In particular, I thought it was interesting, your use of “spider-fingers”, in that spiders are generally regarded as repulsive, and if people find them in their houses they’ll usually kill them, but in a way I think that we all see spiders as fascinating and perhaps, beautiful. Also, I love line 5’s subtle meanings, and the poem is just plain pretty.

Could part of the speaker not want to ask because that would demean him in her eyes as he would not be familiar with her own interests? (hair styling, apparently)

Originally posted by Silhouette
Could part of the speaker not want to ask because that would demean him in her eyes as he would not be familiar with her own interests? (hair styling, apparently)

I do not think so, since there is nothing in the poem (which I can see, at least) which suggests that. Since men were not weavers traditionally, (until the late Middle Ages in Europe, when male-dominated weavers’ guilds seized control of much of the industry) the spinster could not have expected him to weave if she ever spoke with him.

Remember also, that the poem never actually reveals what the spinster is like in terms of personality; the speaker just imagines it.