A new poem from me: a rondeau.

I have decided to post a new poem of mine. This kind of poem is called a roundel, a poem of eight lines with the rhyme scheme ABAAAbAB, in which the last two lines are a repetition of the first two lines. In addition, the main rhyme of the poem is always rich rhyme: one or more consonantal sounds repeat as well as the final sound (rich rhymes are indicated with capital letters in the rhyme scheme). The poem focuses on the wordplay around the main rhyme and using stylistic elements (called “the second rhetoric” in the Middle Ages) to convey different meanings thereby.

To my knowledge, this type of poem has not been written much in English beforehand. I have only seen it in use in the poetry of Guillaume de Machaut (c. 1300 – 1377). There is an English form of the roundel, which has eleven lines, although I have used the French form.

The poem may be edited in the future. Please post your comments if you have any. I have never written a roundel until now, so bear in mind that is this is a new experience for me. I have used, however, an archaic English idiom and iambic pentametre for verse, as I have done previously.

Roundel I:
A Maiden’s Braid

Her spider-fingers weave a silken braid
Of golden beams upon her finger-loom.
Yet I ne wot the maiden’s crafts of bréde,
But dare ne ask, lest she me think t’ upbraid
A bawdy knave that list to know her braid,
And must ne wot and kneel afore this doom.
Her spider-fingers weave a silken braid
Of golden beams upon her finger-loom.

-Word Explanations-

ne = not
wot = know, understand (archaic verb ‘to wit’)
brede = woven pattern (the accent is in place so that it is pronounced like braid)
think = decide
t’ = to
bawdy = lusty, promiscuous, possibly perverted
list = want (its relation to the word ‘lust’ implies sexual desire)
know = be acquainted with, but also can mean to have sexual relations with
must = the word has the sense of obligation which it does today, but also of futurity (as is found in more archaic English: e.g. “thou must die”).
doom = judgement

This poem is Copyright 2003 Sir Percival

Edit: If this poem should be in the main forum, then feel free to move it thither. I was a little unsure of exactly where I should post my poems.

Edit II: I just found out that the proper English word for this kind of poem is roundel. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm…

I don’t really know how to say it, but I liked the poem…
I don’t really know why, because I don’t even understand everythin about it, but I like it. :slight_smile:

I did a sonnet for school, and perc helped me a bit with his 1337 rhyming sk1llz :stuck_out_tongue:

Once upon a gloomy day, while aloft
I saw on the horizon a large craft;
It came into view with many a raft.
They were all in line; looking very soft
I knew he was the one I had sought oft’
My hand went straight to my belt, to my haft*
My nemesis thought that I must be daft;
His power almost seemed able to waft;
My craft shuddered under immense attack;
I leapt across the chasm that was air;
His sword flashed as though it were on fire;
The day became unnaturally black;
My hand reached for whatever it could, hair,
Aim askew, it fell on the frosty mire

*Haft is a Middle-English word meaning Hilt, as in a sword

Perc, you own. Seriously, you own.

And you know you do.

I did tackle on rondeaus and rondelets, but the result never came out right…

I prefer free-verse and dadaism, seriously, as much as this doesn’t make sense. Shooba.

Originally posted by Igatona
I did tackle on rondeaus and rondelets, but the result never came out right…

Are roundels and rondelets still found in contemporary French poetry? And what exactly is a rondelet? We never read any of those.

I’m no good about poetry, Perc, but that was very beautiful indeed. And yours is neat too, Steve :slight_smile:

Perc, I am lost for words. That was amazing.

Yours is good too, Steve.

Personally I prefer free-verse, but that is very good Perc.

Thank you for the comments, everyone.

Feel free to post interpretations if you like.

Why you don’t tell us what it means?

Originally posted by Curtis
Why you don’t tell us what it means?

Did Coleridge ever tell you what his poems meant? -_-

I like it, Perc (and I normally don’t like archaic forms of poetry). :slight_smile:

If he’s going to ask us what we think it means, then I’d expect him to eventually tell us what it means… if he knows himself what it means.

Of course I know the meanings in the poem. If others really want to hear what my ideas in the poem are, I will post them, but I have found that that causes others to not give other interpretations.

Yes, I’d like to know what the poem means.

Sir Percival, that is just simply fantastic, I love that stuff!

Steve: Yours is pretty good too!

:slight_smile:

Here my explanation of the poem. I have put it in a spoiler tag lest anyone wish not to see it.

[spoiler]I hope that you understand the basic context of the poem: it is about a man (the speaker) who is charmed by how well a girl can braid her hair, but he is too afraid to ask her how she does it because he fears coming across awkward if he did ask.

The poem is basically about a kind of power which some women have, which they project through beauty, the mystery of how they harness that power, and its effects: entrapment.

The girl in the poem is a spinster in the true sense of that word. As you may know, the word ‘spinster’ in English means an unmarried woman. It originally meant any woman who spun wool. In the earlier Middle Ages, before the rise of guilds, when domestic industry dominated society in Europe, it was commonly young, unmarried women who spun wool and in time, the word ‘spinster’ slowly came to acquire the meaning which we know today. Although the girl in the poem does not spin, she is nevertheless a woman whose craft lies in textiles (in a sense) as well as being unmarried. Thus, she has a “finger-loom” (line 2).

At the same time, the poem alludes to crafts as ‘mystery’. That is, unless one is taught how to do a craft, it remains completely unknown. In the Middle Ages, guilds were often called ‘mysteries’, (that is what you will find in many documents) because the knowledge of how to do the craft was known to the members of the guild and no one else. On top of that, in a lot of mediaeval literature (which was written by men) women’s lore and crafts were considered to be mystery, and many female symbols, especially the vagina, became symbols of secret female power.

This brings me to my second, and perhaps more significant, theme: knowledge and the power behind it. The poem plays on two words which both imply knowledge. One is the knowledge of how to do something (to wit) and the other is sexual knowledge (to know). In the poem, their meanings run together. The speaker believes that the spinster’s secret knowledge of her craft of braiding her hair is like her virginity; it is intrinsic to the fact that she is a maiden. If he were to ask her and she tell him subsequently, then the secret knowledge of her craft would be known to an individual outside of her ‘mystery’. In a sense, he would be taking away her virginity if she told him about the secret craft of braiding and thus cause her to lose her secret power, because it would no longer be a secret to him. Therefore, a kind of sexual knowledge, and power, is connected with knowing the knowledge of the craft. As such, the speaker fears that if he did ask, the girl would only scold him for watching her. Of course, he does not truly know what her reaction would be in reality, but his fear of rejection conjures up automatic negative thoughts in his mind and he does not do so.

The situation is very frustrating for the speaker because the girl’s braid makes her very beautiful, almost like a siren. The main indicator of the girl’s beauty is her blonde hair; in mediaeval popular culture, it was often held that blonde hair was the most beautiful kind of hair (many likened it to gold). However, her beauty is such that it captivates and ensnares. The fact that the speaker likens her fingers to a spider, implies that she braiding ability is like a spider’s web which traps insects. It also implies that the secret knowledge of braiding might include how to make knots and snares, which the weaver could use to their advantage. Indeed, one could make an allusion to a sonnet written by Edmund Spenser (I have forgotten which one, but I can look it up if you like), in which a woman uses her golden locks of hair to ensnare men in her charm.

Thus, repeated throughout the poem are negatives: “ne wot” (lines 3 and 6), “ne dare” (line 5) which stress denial and prevention. He remains trapped in her knot of beauty. After all, if he knew her craft, he could undo the knots of beauty in which she has ensnared him. But he does not know because he believes that she would only rebuke him if he tried. Thus, he submits to an imaginary judgement by the girl that her craft must remain unknown to him: he “kneel[s] afore [her] doom” (line 6); kneeling before someone is a sign of obedience, as you probably know. He has ensnared himself in his own fallacious thinking, but this fallacious thinking was ultimately effected by the girl’s beauty.

Although it is customary to have the two last lines of the poem repeat the first two in the roundel form, the repetition has another effect here. They serve to demonstrate that speaker remains utterly in awe of the girl and her braid in the end. She remains powerful and he weak and trapped. He has not escaped and perhaps he never will.[/spoiler]

That was really pretty, Perc…not everyone can say they can write medieval poetry…especially that well. o_O

The woman weaving reminds me a lot of the way Homer wrote his female characters in the Odyssey…they were all portrayed as tricky; particularly the ones who wove. Odysseus’ wife Penelope promised that she’d take her pick of the suitors when she finished weaving her father-in law’s burial shroud. She worked on it every day, and un-worked it every evening after the suitors had passed out. …erm, yeah…back on topic. ^_^;

Originally posted by Trillian
[b]That was really pretty, Perc…not everyone can say they can write medieval poetry…especially that well. o_O

The woman weaving reminds me a lot of the way Homer wrote his female characters in the Odyssey…they were all portrayed as tricky; particularly the ones who wove. Odysseus’ wife Penelope promised that she’d take her pick of the suitors when she finished weaving her father-in law’s burial shroud. She worked on it every day, and un-worked it every evening after the suitors had passed out. …erm, yeah…back on topic. ^_^; [/b]

I had not thought of Penelope when I was writing the poem, although she certainly makes a good comparison. Of course, in this poem, the girl, unlike Penelope, is being very indirect.

Nice. Very nice to the both of you. I enjoyed them.:kissy:

Originally posted by Chris-chris
Nice. Very nice to the both of you. I enjoyed them.:kissy:

Any aspect in particular?