A matter of skill?

dun like em, i don’t mind trying for hours and hours to get past some puzzle

I’ve only used a guide to figure out the customization for weapons in SO2 and for ONE piece of heart in Zelda.

I’m a perfectionist sometimes, and I use guides to get all items and to find places where I can level up to my heart’s content.

Originally posted by Mabatsekker
Honestly. Who could’ve possibly gotten hang of the chocoboraising system in FF7 without a FAQ? I was completely in the dark of the whole matter until some local game magazine held a 2 page spread on the whole system and how it works… of course, in the next magazine, they revealed that they could be used to get the übermaterias…

I did.

Me to, and I did it without the tactic of restarting if a chocobo failed. I spent a lot of time in the golden saucer while trying to raise that thing. :\

I own one for FF8 when I got lost trying to find Edea’s house on disc 2. Looked at the map, and then threw the guide in a drawer somewhere. Still can’t find it.

I use guides when

1: I just want to play through the game and have no encouragement or emphesis on solving it on my own

2: I’m stuck.

3: Need more info

4: Beat the game and want to find all the extras for the hell of it.

Although I’m proud to say I hardly needed a guide through OB64 :smiley:

Originally posted by Sinistral
I did.

Quiet. You’re a bio major, right? You know how that whole breeding thing works (beyond the fun part most people are concerned with). An unfair advantage if I ever saw one.

I only saw Chocobo Lure as an easy and fast way to travel around if you were bored to death with random encounters… until that magazine came out… Who could’ve ever thought that you had to talk to the guy inside the house to get a stable…

I do when I’m stuck, which I’m a lot since I’m lazy and don’t try a lot.

For the most I play roleplaying games for the storyline, much like Mazarim Taim.

Originally posted by yoshmeister
A matter of skill?

I don’t think there is much skill involved in the rpg genre. Success is a function of the time you wish to spend, and attentiveness.

Examples - none of the following involve skill (although from the way people talk sometimes, they think otherwise):

1. Scouring a dungeon three times over, brushing the walls and searching every spot to find an item.

2. Fighting an enemy 300 times to get the rare item

3. Spending 15 hours levelling to make yourself omnipotent

4. Remembering a town person said there was an item somewhere

5. Chocobo breeding :hahaha;

There is skill involved when you’re playing an RPG. Watch a bad RPG player make bad choices in battle or when going places and you’ll understand. However, there are dif RPGs that vary in clarity of where to go and puzzle difficulty and that’s where logic and being able to figure shit out.

I wouldn’t blame their poor choices on lack of skill, but stupidity.

Originally posted by RoguePaladinTrian
Quiet. You’re a bio major, right? You know how that whole breeding thing works (beyond the fun part most people are concerned with). An unfair advantage if I ever saw one.
Yeah, Sin’s a bio major, specializing in fantasy bird reproduction.