A giant spider

AHAHHAHH!!! SIPDERSS!!!:runaway: :eek: :eek: :eek: :runaway:

Hey Kagon,
THERE’S A SPIDER IN YOUR HAIR!!!11!!!111!!!11!!!1!

I’m also a recovering arachnophobe. However, I like the big spiders better than the little ones. I owned a tarantula for a while, but sadly, Pockets died during a molt. I was out on a Boy Scout outing and one of the crickets we gave her to eat killed her. Yes, that can happen. Until their exoskeleton hardens again, they’re extremely vulnerable; even prey animals can kill them.

Ren, tarantulas aren’t spiders either. So the whole Sea Spider-is-a-crab thing is really moot.

Originally posted by Kraken
Ren, tarantulas aren’t spiders either. So the whole Sea Spider-is-a-crab thing is really moot.

WTF???

Please explain. I thought all arachnida with 8 legs, fangs, web-making organs & stuff were spiders… And what is ‘moot’ (damm short vocabulary…)?

Ooooo.

: Mr. Waving Smilie is sent off to make use of his stealing and hunting talent.

I love spiders: Which is why I hope they’ll post a photo of that dinner plate sized one soon.

OK, here’s the thing…<i>I HATE ALL INSECTS, SPIDERs, & ALL THINGS THAT ARE INSECTOID/ARACHNOID!!!</i>

I want to fumigatre the planet & remove those evil creatures from the face of the earth.
I want to kill al bugs, spidrers, slugs, etc.,etc…

I just hate them all.

Originally posted by Ren
[b]WTF???

Please explain. I thought all arachnida with 8 legs, fangs, web-making organs & stuff were spiders… And what is ‘moot’ (damm short vocabulary…)? [/b]

I’m not clear on all the differentiations, but tarantulas are not spiders. The commonly seen “daddy long legs” spider <a href=“http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/longlegs.htm”>isn’t a spider either</a>.

I haven’t looked up “moot” in a long time, but the general gist is “not worth arguing about.” Basically, I was pointing out an inconsistency in your behavior; objecting to calling Sea Spiders “spiders,” while offering no qualms when we steered the conversation into big-n-hairy territory. Perfectly understandible though.

Originally posted by Ren
As for real spiders, I have arachnophobia since I was a little brat, but I’m half-way through defeating it. I can’t get near a spider but I love observing them for hours, watching them hunt or build a web.

You and me both.
Little spiders don’t really bother me. In fact, they can be kinda cute. Spiders the size of a dinner plate, though, call for either bug spray or a book. A really BIG book. Though, yeah, big spiders are the most interesting to observe.

My Mom, though, was in Greece once, and found a spider half the size of the shower wall in the bathroom. You can guess from there.:slight_smile:

Size of a dinner plate counting the legs are part of the size?

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
Size of a dinner plate counting the legs are part of the size?

Yes.

The biggest one, if I remember well, is a mexican species of tarantula that has orange knees. It takes some 30 years to reach that size, though.

Wait, I just found out it’s actually the Goliath Spider, that lives in the northernmost parts of South America. 10 inches from leg tip to leg tip. And here she is, the biggest spider.

Kraken, all the books I have on entomology show tarantulas as being spiders of the mygalomorphae or theraposidae families.

Why so many spider threads, sin?

Because people like spiders, duh.