A Blood Omen fanfic? OH NO!

Chapter 6: The Sarafan Warrior

Malek’s fortress was as impressive up-close as it was in the distance. The walls spanned a countless distance into the sky, with spiked tiers and worn parapets covering every inch. The doors were made of steel, long since frozen by the cold, and the stone walls were delicately carved and placed. If Malek had one sin, it was vanity.

I kicked the second door open, and looked for the first time at my enemy’s lair. It was cold and dark, with not a single sound echoing from its massive interior. I used my Magical Light spell, gripped my sword readily, and stepped inside. The doors, as if pulled by some unseen force, closed shut behind me.

As I went farther into the bastion, I heard the unmistakable sound of machinery. As I stepped into the next chamber, my suspicions were confirmed; Malek had created a large machine in his fortess. Strange suits of armor were created inside, then spewed out just as quickly.

I paid no mind to this, until I saw the armor move. Each complete set of armor, armed with a large sword and protective shield, marched towards me. Malek’s machinery did more than create armor; it merged souls into the empty suits. Malek had created an army of creatures like himself.

I had no time to dwell on this, though. I parried several blows, and returned several more. The armors crumbled from my attacks, their souls released from their prisons, but for every enemy I struck down, five more took its place. Soon I was being overwhelmed by the horde, forcing me to take an action I had always despised: I fled.

I ran through the nearby doors and barred them behind me. However, I soon learned that this chamber had a machine, as well. As more of the armored creatures descended on me, I heard a strange voice, rasping and aged in tone, calling out to me.

“I can sense your presence here, demon,” said the voice. “The stench of death clings to you.” This was undoubtably Malek. I continued my struggle against the unending army, and was finally able to cut my way through. I ran to the far doorway, but stopped when I saw a large switch. In desperation, I threw it, and the machine stopped.

Now realized what I had to do, I tore through the advancing horde and returned to the previous room. I tore a hole through this army and threw another switch, shutting off this machine. Finally, I tore through the rest of the enemies in the area. However, Malek’s voice once again returned, mocking me. “Come to slay the slayer of vampires, have you? Your undeath does not make you immortal, vampire.” From only listening Malek for five seconds, I developed a deep hatred for him.

I headed through the next passageway, and found several more machines in one room. I saw a switch next to me, so I quickly threw it, but nothing happened; in fact, the machines seemed to speed up. As more and more soldiers poured out, I cleaved my way through, desperate for an escape. However, I finally saw something of interest; a large, glowing orb, hidden in a small room. I ran to the orb and quickly shattered it, causing the machinery to halt. This was followed by an ear-shattering scream, as the possessed armors collapsed, empty of all life.

Once again, Malek’s voice echoed through my head. “You try my patience, fledgling! Care to try my blade instead?”

I found the back door to the room, and quickly left. I once again found myself outside the bastion, but on the other side of a previously conspicuous wall. I saw another tower, sticking out of the cold like a sore thumb. As I approached, though, I realized I had another problem. My eyes began to yearn from lack of contrast, and my mouth ached for blood. My hunger grew in this wasteland, and with it, my strength waned.

(to be continued)

Nice work, Gallo.

The guards in front of the tower offered no resistance. Their bodies were frozen like the others, their flesh welded to the cold metal of their armor. I forced open the frozen door and entered the final refuge of Malek. I quickly took the nearby stairs, climbing to the top of the tower.

When I reached the top, I saw a grim sight. A large throne room had been erected, with faded tapestries and banners, all bearing the same strange markings. On the rotting throne sat a frozen corpse, its clothing nothing but rags, staring at me through sightless eyes and rotted teeth.

“It is not often that a man sees his own corpse.” I heard Malek’s voice in my head yet again. “It is a sobbering experience. But I am far less interested in my corpse than I am in yours! Prepare yourself, vampire!”

I doubted this was Malek’s true corpse; it looked too fresh for 500 years of emptiness. However, I did not have time to debate this. My goal was to destroy the Sarafan. Gripping my sword, I approached the next set of doors and forced them open.

On the other side was a long hall, apparantly once used for training and sparring. On the other side waited my opponent. Malek looked at me through his bodiless armor, which at the same time seemed to be filled with some kind of presence. His armor was a bright gold; even after 500 years, it had not rusted in the slightest. In his hands was a long halberd, its blade still caked with centuries-old blood.

The Sarafan said nothing; he simply approached me. I raised my sword and followed in suit. Finally, we charged at each other, screaming and howling like the monsters we were. I struck first, but Malek effortlessly blocked my attack. He then thrusted, but I quickly sidestepped. As I did, I struck again, but Malek instantly raised his weapon and parried. At last, I had found a worthy opponent.

Malek attacked again, but I struck his blow aside and shoved him away. I attacked once again, but this time he tripped me using his staff. I rolled away just as he was about to impale me, but then realized that I had dropped my sword during the struggle. I reached for my mace, but Malek knocked it out of my hands. The battle was draining what little energy I had left.

“It is over, fledgeling!” shouted Malek. He raised his halberd, just as I saw my answer: a pair of hand axes hanging on the wall. They were the only weapons remaining in this nightmarish fortress. I dodged Malek’s attack and grabbed the axes, holding one in each hand. I could not use spells or items like this, but it did not matter; I was going to destroy Malek using my own strength.

“Why do you resist?” shouted Malek. “Surrender, and I will free your soul!”

“I do not think so,” I said. “I think my soul is fine just where it is.” I then attacked. Once again, Malek blocked, but this time, my second weapon struck his armor. He shrieked in response, and drew away from me. Energy cracked around his armor briefly, then stopped. The armor fell, in pieces, to the ground.

“Down after only one blow,” I said. “You are pathetic, Malek.” I approached my fallen enemy, but something grabbed my leg and threw me into the nearby wall. Before my eyes, the armor reformed and stood before me. I could feel the hatred inside of Malek as he withdrew to the far end of the room.

“You are formidable, Vampire,” he said, “but I am not beaten. I can never be destroyed!” He then raised his hands, and a wave of pure energy began to move through the room, tearing apart the walls, floor, ceiling, and support pillars. In desperation, I jumped through a nearby window, and found myself falling towards the water. I quickly transformed into my bat form, and flew to the cliffs on the other side of Malek’s island; an area I could not reach before. A small girl was nearby, playing in the snow. Before she could scream, I snapped her neck and feeded on her, then threw her body into the trees. My strength was partially restored, but I was in no condition to battle Malek. He was like me; an undead creature, and thus seemingly immortal. It seemed his destiny with my blade was postponed.

With no remaining action, I returned, empty-handed, to the Pillars. As I reformed from my bat form, Ariel appeared before me. Her expression changed to grief when she saw I was without Malek’s item.

“Does the Sarafan elude you?” she said, taunting me in her usual way. I would have struck her then, but she was still of use. “Very well, go east of Malek’s Bastion. Through the many mountains and caverns of Nosgoth, you will find the Cave of the Oracle. Speak with the Oracle of Nosgoth; he can help you defeat the Guardian of Conflict.”

(to be continued)

Great writing as usual. There were just a couple of little things I spotted. Sobbering, I think, only has one ‘b’, and I think ‘feeded’ should be fed.

Chapter 7: The Caves of the Oracle

I returned to where I had landed upon my escape from Malek’s Bastion. A large grove of trees blocked my passage, but my axes were easily able to cut through them. I cleared my path, then continued forward into the frozen wasteland.

I soon reached another obstacle: the ice on the frozen lake had shattered, rendering it impossible to continue. However, I quickly formed an idea; I remembered what I had been told when I learned of my lupine form. I concentrated on the transformation, wondering if it was true.

I got my answer quickly enough. My body became covered with grey fur, my face became elongated and menacing. I fell to all fours, as my hands turned to sharp-clawed paws. I let out a blood-churning howl, relishing my new form. I then reared onto my hind legs and jumped onto the platforms of ice. Soon, I had crossed the lake, and transformed back into my vampiric self.

A voice in my mind greeted me: it was none other than the necromancer himself. “Oh, little vampire, this game grows interesting. But with so many pawns, can you find the true player?” I shook the necromancer’s words off; I had little respect for the man after what he had done.

However, the snowfall is what truly brought me back to my senses. As it touched my skin, I felt the same acidic burn that I felt with the rainfall so long ago. The snowfall, it seemed, was no different. I quickly hid in a nearby cave.

Inside, I found yet another small altar. Like before, an aging scroll sat upon it, bearing the necromancer’s seal. I unfurled the scroll, and read the words upon it.

“The human mind is a fragile thing, Kain. With this spell, you can cause a jolt in your victim’s brain, rendering them helpless before you.”

Realizing the potential, I called this my “Stun” spell. I pocketed the scroll, then watched as the last of the snow fell onto the ground. Now safe to travel once more, I continued down the frozen path.

Soon, I reached a large mountain, every inch of it covered with the same snow that had covered everything else. However, at the base was something far less concerning: an encampment. I donned my human disguise and approached.

It was obvious that these were bandits, the lowest forms of human life imaginable. They were busy counting their loot, brandishing their weapons and raping whatever young women they had come across to notice me, disguise or not. I transformed back, raised my sword, and struck one bandit in the back.

The others immediately turned in response, but began to panic when they realized what I was. However, I had a much crueler fate in store for them. Raising my hands, I chanted the incantation for the Inspire Hate spell.

The effects were immediate. The bandits turned to each other, their eyes filled with deep and insidious hatred. They did not understand what they were doing, but they still attacked each other. Even the young women joined the attack. I, meanwhile, sat back and feasted on whatever blood I could salvage.

Soon, the attack was over. Only one person remained: a woman, nude from the waist up. Her body was soaked in blood; I believed that she had killed half of the men herself. Still, I was hungry, so I chanted the Stun spell. Her body instantly jolted, then stood still. I leaned it, and sank my fangs into her lovely neck. Now satisfied, I found a large cave, leading deep into the mountain. Since this was likely where the Oracle was, I made my way inside.

(to be continued)

Great just great. I really don’t know what more to say. :cool:

Great, as always.

The cave was dark, the walls covered with layers of ancient vegitation. The floor was made of frozen rock, and iced human remains were littered all over the area. I readied my weapon, expecting an attack of some kind, but found no resistance. However, I did find another side cavern, which I entered.

Once again, I found a blood-filled fountain. The same voice as before called out to me, demanding that I drink. While I had feasted just prior to this, a little more would not hurt; after all, I expected very little in the way of feeding here. I leaned over, took a handful, and feed myself. I felt the warm feeling yet again.

“The snowfall will no longer damage you, for our blood preserves.” The voice was begining to annoy me, but I doubted its authenticity. I simply left the cavern and continued through another cave, which led to a frozen cliffside. The snow fell, but I was not damaged; the voice was indeed correct.

I entered the next cave, and the next, and the next, for several hours. Finally, as night fell, I realized where I was; the first cave. I had been going in circles! The damn oracle indeed knew how to create a maze, but I had no time to think about his ingenuity; I had to find my way out. I continued through the caves for several more hours, until I finally foud a hidden pathway.

The path led to a small chamber, decorated with various relics and artifacts; it appeared to be some kind of museum. The first item to catch my eye was a large book, layed open on a pedastal in the middel of the chamber. The passage read:

“It was during these dark times, infested with the plague of the undead, that the Circle brought the Sarafan to existance. Trained to be devoutly loyal to the Circle, and the perfect exterminators of the undead scourge, they were lead to many victories by the righteous paladin, Malek. They cleansed the vampires with fire, and released their souls to more blessed realms. There is no wrath as terrible as that of the righteous…” I read no more. Disguisted and intrigued, and closed the book, and examined the remaining items in the museum.

On the left of the book was a guillotine, its blade still wet with blood. As I touched the blade, I felt the dripping blood’s texture; it did not feel like anything I had experienced during my journey. On the right was a suit of armor, the kind used by the ancient villain known as the Ward and his minions. However, they had died out centuries ago, and yet the armor seemed unweathered by time.

On the back wall were two shields, both pristine and uweathered. On the right was a silver shield, bearing the crest of mighty Willendorf, the kingdom to which I had sworn allegience in life. However, it seemed strange that this new shield would be stained with blood; Willendorf had few wars, and even fewer conflicts. The shield on the left was foreign to me; its body was pure black, and bore a red demon as its crest. With no other interesting items, I continued through the next set of double doors.

I was now in a large, cavernous room, devoid of any form of ice. A large, black cauldron sat in the middle, with an ancient figure slowly stirring its contents. It was an old man, seemingly thousands of years old. His fine robes seemed to crush down on his small frame, trapping him in a permenant hunched state. His eyes were glossed over, and his face looked like a crumpled piece of cloth.

“A nobleman?” asked the Oracle. “Seeking wisdom? Death has taught me well.”

I was not amused. “Enough philosophy! I seek answers.”

“Answers indeed!” laughed the Oracle. “I have them all if you have the questions. And what are the questions for these answers. King Ottmar- The only one that can defeat the Legions of the Nemesis. King Ottmar- Paralyzed by his daughter’s malady. King Ottmar- The useless. Now, what are the questions?”

The man’s ramblings were truly begining to anger me. “A pox on your tricks and babble, old man! Answer me this: How do I defeat Malek?”

“All in time, sire!” said the Oracle. “Yes, time. Unless you master it, it will master you. And now it’s time for your answers: Malek, defender of the Nine and last of the Sarafan sorcerer-priests. His vanity led to the slaughter of the Circle at the hands of the vampire Vorador. For his failing, his soul was fused with his armor. He has not allowed any member to fall since.”

Through his ramblings, I realized he had given me a clue. “Where can I find this Vorador?”

“Go to the Termogent Forest,” said the Oracle. “Follow the Ignis Fatuus.”

“The Ignis Fatuss?”

“The Ignis Fatuss light the path to Hell. Your path. Time, Kain. Next time…” He then dissapeared, and I left the chamber, more confused than when I had entered. Another passage opened, leading out of the caves, and into the forest on the other side. My next goal was clear. I had to find the vampire Vorador and learn how to defeat the paladin. Now, to see if the Oracle was indeed worth the trouble…

(to be continued)

Chapter 8: The Termogent Forest

From where I emerged, I spied a large, ancient tower. Two armed men, most likely bandits, guarded the entrance. They were completely oblivious to my presence, which made it easy to approach them from behind and slice off one of their heads. The second turned, but I ran my sword through his skull, then drained their blood; I had grown hungry in the caves.

I slammed open the rotting tower door, prepared for some kind of encounter. However, I found no brigands in this chamber; only another of the necromancer’s damned scrolls. Once again, I opened the parchament:

“A vampire can transform their bodies into pure mist at will. While transformed, they are immune to physical weapons, and can seep through cracks and locked doors, like a shadow fleeing light.”

I memorized the method of transforming, and the scroll disintegrated. A heavy metal gate slammed down behind me, blocking the main exit to this forsaken tower. With no other choice, I opened the next door, and found myself staring at a sewer. As I stepped through, another gate crashed down, trapping me in the foul sewer.

A large metal grate stood in the wall. I approached it, and concentrated on the transformation. I felt my body collapse and tear apart, as I became light as air. Soon, I was nothing but a cloud of mist, shaped as my vampiric self. I touched the grate, and felt my hand pass through. I then stepped through, and felt my body dissintegrate, then reform. I reverted to my vampire form, and entered the next room.

I now faced a cage-like door. I simply phased through, only to find myself staring at nearly a dozen bandits. Instead of reverting, I stood there as they foolishly attacked me. Finally, as they fell to their hands and knees, completely exhausted, I transformed back and finished them off easily.

After feeding, I opened the next door. I was now outside, behind the tower. As I closed the door, a heavy thud emerged from the other side; a bar had blocked the door. It did not matter; I had finished my job here.

(to be continued)

Wonderfully written, especially the descriptions of phasing.

The road continued through the thick forests of Termogent. Stangely, no humans seemed to dweel here, and while I had enough strength to last without blood for some time, I was nonetheless unnerved by the silence. As if in response to my thoughts, the scent of spilled blood filled my senses.

I quickly followed the scent, and found what I had searched for behind some brush. Human bodies, most likely related to the brigands I had faced at the tower, were torn apart before me. Slime and plant debris had ruined the blood, but that was the least of my worries. I heard strange noises echoing around my, accompanied by the strong aroma of mold and rotting flesh mixed together. I did not wish to risk being weakened here, so I quickly returned to my travels.

Finally, I reached the end of the forest, only to find something far worse: a vast swamp. At first, I thought I had taken a wrong turn, but then I saw the strange, burning lights ahead. While they were placed upon scones carved from human skulls, I doubted that they were attached; in fact, they seemed to be floating slightly above the posts. I transformed into mist, and made my way across the water.

Finally, I reached what appeared to be a cave. I returned to my “normal” state and entered, only to find not the passage to Vorador, but another one of the strange fountains. The same siren-like voices called out to me, and I willingly drank.

My muscles felt warm yet again. “Your strength has been increased further,” said the voices, “for our blood enhances.” I did not dally behind; I simply took up my sword and left the cave. As I stepped outside, I returned to mist and continued my journey.

As night began to descend, I found two buildings, nestled in close proximity to each other. I entered the smaller building first, and found two scrolls waiting for me on a large altar. The first read:

“You can use your own blood as a weapon, Kain. By sacrificing some of your own blood, you can create a projectile that will drain an adversary of their blood on contact. If the attack misses, however, you will have lost a considerable amount of strength.”

I decided to call this my “Blood Gout” spell. On the back was, once again, the necromancer’s seal. The other scroll, however, was much older, and had yellowed and withered with age:

“Humans are weak creatures. They can fall easily to control, especially from the vampires. A vampire can remove a victim’s soul and replace it with their own, thus giving them complete control over their victim’s body. When they remove their soul, the body turns to dust.”

There was no sign of the necromancer’s seal, but this spell was potent nonetheless. I called it the “Control Mind” spell. After my searching was complete, I entered the larger building, which appeared to be some kind of temple.

The interior was completely deserted, save for dust-covered skeletons and rusted weaponry. The walls were covered with various symbols and carvings; the building had been used as a religious center once, it seemed. Now, it was nothing but a ruin, a shadow of its former glory. I took the large, stone steps to the top, which was a ceremonial area once. Now, it housed a group of sleeping humans, apparantly under the notion that this would be a place to hide.

I snuck past the humans, to a large altar at the other end of the entrance. Resting upon it was a large, finely-crafted sword. Its hilt was similar to my own sword, but contained strange runes that I could not decipher. The blade was a strange combination of red and silver, and had the same runes carved onto its surface. I saw no need for such a weapon; it appeared to be the same as my current sword.

“You!” shouted the humans; apparantly they had already awaken. “Get away from our sword!”

“<i>Your</i> sword?” I asked.

“We came all this way for it,” said one of the humans; I had not yet faced them, and they did not seem to realize who I truly was. “A blade like that would make us all wealthy!”

“That is, if it’s not just another sword,” I said. I turned around, still brandishing the sword. The humans gasped and cowered when they saw my blood-soaked fangs and pale skin. “Let’s see if it was really worth your time.”

One of the humans regained his resolve and drew his sword. “Come on, men!” he shouted. “We completely outnumber the beast! Get the damn sword!” He then charged forward; the others wisely chose to stay behind. I sighed, then slashed the sword in front of me.

As I did, I learned the true meaning of the sword’s power. As it struck the foolish human, flames surrounded the blade, and inadvertanly the human. He screamed and writhed in perpetual agony, until he quickly turned to nothing more than a pile of ash. He did not even leave a drop of blood for me to feed on.

The other humans faltered, and started to run. I quickly grabbed the dead human’s discarded sword and, following the directions for the Blood Gout spell, sliced open my palm. I then pulled my arm back and threw a ball of blood at the humans. It connected with the one in the back, and as it tore through his chest, his blood quickly drew back towards me. I quickly consumed it, then used my Control Mind spell on the last human to descend the stairs.

I felt myself back in a human body, weak and pathetic. The others stopped and turned to face their now-possessed friend. “What’s wrong with you?” one of them asked. “We need to get out of here!” I said nothing; I simply drew my sword and tore them apart while they looked on in horror. Finished with my deed, I returned to my vampiric body, and descended the steps. I consumed what little blood I could, and returned to the swamp.

It was nearly midnight when I reached the last refuge in the swamp: an enormous mansion, surrounded by towering stone walls. The gates were unlocked, and parted easily when I pushed them. The courtyard of the mansion was magnificent; a complete mirror image of the swamp. Perfectly-carved statues surrounded the building, while stone towers reached up to the balconies. I realized just who lived here at last: Vorador himself. It seemed strange that a vampire would choose to make his home surrounded by the elements that would kill him, and yet here I was.

I opened the finely-carved oak doors, and entered Vorador’s Mansion.

(to be continued)

Chapter 9: Vorador’s Mansion

The grandour of Vorador’s secluded home was breathtaking. The walls were covered with all manners of gold and precious metals, while the ground was covered with an amazing red-and-gold carpet. A mansion this magnificent would have put anyone in my court to shame. The fact that this treasure remained undisturbed proved the power of fear over greed.

Suddenly, a cry emerged from a side door. The sound was familiar to my ears; it was the sound of shrill human screaming, accompanied by the slurping sound of blood being drained. I quickly opened the door, and found the source of the noise: a lifeless human body, drained completely of blood, was lying on the carpet. Above him floated a most unusual sight: a hovering female vampire, her fangs still wet with blood. She wore no clothing to speak of, save for a leotard and a small top.

She stared at me for a few seconds, then launched herself at me. I quickly drew my flame sword and struck her to the ground. The fire from my blade quickly consumed her body; vampires are especially weak against fire. Strangely, I felt a pang of remourse, something I had not felt since my ressurection. I had slaughtered hundreds of humans, and yet I felt pity for this pathetic creature.

I continued down the hall, only to find more of these female vampires, feasting on a pile of corpses. It did not take me long to learn what had occured here. The pile had no humans; rather, the victims were all vampiric women. Vorador had a private harem in his manor. They were nothing but dogs, preying upon one another out of pure hunger. No creatures should prey on their own kind. I drew my flame sword and leaped at the creatures, easily destroying them. At least now they would have rest.

The rest of the manor was filled with lavish treasures and other memorabilia. Grim war trophies were stacked all over, many of them bearing the same design as Malek’s armor. It seemed true, then; perhaps Vorador really had defeated Malek. That only strengthened my resolve to find the reclusive vampire and gain his secrets.

Buried among his treasures were two impressive artifacts. The first was a large, leather-bound book, its pages weather and crumbling with age. It spook of a genocidal war five hundred years ago. The Sarafan had slaughtered the vampires out of fear and superstition, and did not stop until Vorador attacked the Circle. The tapestry spoke of a similar tale. Undead beings were consumed by fire and chaos, screaming out like tortured souls seeking help. Their fate was that of the weak; their fate would not find me. However, blood calls out for blood…

I descended a flight of stairs, and came upon a drab stone room. Its purpose was revealed as I saw the chained humans, begging and screaming for salvation that would never come. This was Vorador’s private pantry, his holding pen for the cattle he fed on. I had grown hungry by this point, so I quickly fed on their bodies. However, a scroll was lying on the ground nearby, along with a strange suit of armor. The armor portrayed a snarling, growling face, and had spikes portruding from every possible location. I realized the importance of this armor; it would enable me to damage the fools who dared to attack me. I quickly doned the impressive armor; it fit me perfectly.

The scroll itself did not bear the mark of the necromancer; rather, it was in the same handwritting as the Control Mind spell. It read:

“When I must feed quickly, I can use my Blood Shower spell. This enables me to draw the blood from multiple sources at once, making it easy to feed my hunger and destroy attackers at the same time. Not like I get that many here.”

I memorized the spell, and returned to the mansion proper. Vorador’s harem continued to prowl the halls, but they fell easily to my attacks. Finally, I reached something of importance: a large, blood-soaked room. Human corpses were attached to meat hooks, nailed to walls, shredded on the ground, dumped into pools of acid, and crushed beneath piles of rubble. Vorador did not even bother to drink their blood; he had simply killed these humans for sport. The idea sounded intriguing, but I still had to find the ancient vampire.

Near the torture chamber, I found the actual lair of Vorador. He sat at the end of a long dining table, drinking from an onyx gauntlet. I had expected a vampire similar to myself; what I found was much different. Vorador’s skin was a dark green, his ears pointed like spikes. His eyes were cat-like, and pierced into my very being. I saw a true horror, worse than anything I had seen before. Vorador was what I would become.

“Ah, another of my own kind,” said Vorador. “It is so rare that I meet another of my own kind. Would you care for a game of chess?”

“No thank you,” I said. The idea of playing a game with Vorador did not intrigue me at this time.

“Very well,” said Vorador. He offered me a goblet of blood. “Come, drink with me. Let us toast to out gift. Remember, we are gods, young one. Dark gods.”

I laughed inside as I drank the blood. What gift? This curse had turned me into everything Vorador was: a monster. His belief that we were gods and humans were nothing but sacrifical lambs to us did not sound correct. And yet, deep inside, I knew he was right. Mortal dreams were prayers, prayers for us, begging for our power. Vorador, however, suffered from what old men often suffered from: senality. He launched into a boring tale of his exploits during the vampire purge.

“After slaughtering six of their sheep,” said Vorador, “I defeated their pathetic little sheperd: Malek. Since then, our kind have not bothered with the cattle except to feed. And I suggest you do the same. Meddling with the affairs of men can only lead to disaster. Sarafan witch hunts are much too tedious to concern ourselves with. Am I understood, Kain?” I nodded.

“Good,” he said. He handed me a strange ring, inscribed with a strange red rune. “Take this ring. If you ever need assistance it will summon me. Despite your youthful arrogance, you amuse me, Kain. It would be such a pity to lose you to the abyss. Now, be gone.” I stepped out the side door as Vorador stared blindly ahead. I continued through a dark passage, until I reached the forest again. My visit with Vorador had only strengthened my resolve. His power uncontested by mortals, he had fallen to another foe. Decadence has claimed many a great warrior. And so I left that place with clear knowledge of what sort of monster I would become if I let my curse consume me…and with an ally for the future.

(to be continued)

Chapter 10: Dark Eden

The cave led to a series of rocky ledges, which overlooked a vast, deep lake. Strange vegetation was growing from every direction; my eyes had never seen such bizzare things before. Their stems were covered with blood-soaked thorns, their petals coated with what was most certainly poison. It was baffling that such things could exist anywhere, much less this far reach of Nosgoth.

My surprise soon turned to horror as I saw the plants move on their own. The flowers closed tightly, then released a glob of acidic solution at me. I quickly dodged the attack and sliced off two of the flowers, but they almost immediately grew back and attacked again.

An all-too-familiar stench suddenly reached me. I turned, and saw another attacker. This time, it was an enormous ball of slime, shaped to vaguely resemble a monster. I dodged the creature’s mad swipe, and saw the ground it touched turn completely black. This creature was nothing more than a ball of disease.

I dodged the flowers again, and tore my flame sword through the slime. It shrieked, then melted into a pile of ooze. I then used my Energy Bolt splel against the plants, tearing them from root to stem.

Such creatures did not deserve to exist. I had to find their creators. Conveniently, the necromancer’s voice echoed in my mind.

“To the north lies Dark Eden, a twisted, perverted world created by three of the Pillars’ Guardians: Bane the Druid, Dejoule the Energist, and Anachrothe the Alchemist. With the combined powers of Bane’s control of nature, Dejoule’s powerful energies, and Anachrothe’s scientific prowess, they can swallow all of Nosgoth in their destructive path. They must be stopped, Kain.”

I now had a righteous reason for destroying these bastards: they were the guardians I was hunting. I headed north, encountering increasing numbers of unworldly creatures. Finally, I reached what had to be Dark Eden. A red field of energy served as a barrier between the ugliness of Nosgoth, and the nightmares of hell itself. Every living thing in Dark Eden was warped and mutated, transformed into an unnatural creature the second the field touched it. Already some of its denizons were escaping; it was inevitable that all of Nosgoth would suffer their fate.

I stepped through the field, but despite a slight heat from the barrier, I felt nothing. I looked at my body, and saw no change. It seemed that the magics of this place only affected the living…or perhaps I was already twisted enough.

(to be continued)

Before me lay a wasteland of scorched earth, fiery lava, and mutated plants and creatures. Several destroyed buildings were strewn about; the remnants of a village that had been consumed by Dark Eden. I carefully snuck around the rivers and lakes of lava; the fire would have consumed my body had I touched it. I saw a large cave on an isolated island, covered with plantlife, but I had no way of reaching it at the moment.

Soon, I reached the very center of Dark Eden, and found the cause of the corruption: a thin, black tower. At its top rested a large gemstone, which radiated with unbelievable power. Four small towers stood at four corners of the tower, and they also contained powerful gems. This power was what was controlling the spread of Dark Eden; it had to be stopped, or all of Nosgoth would be consumed. I found an entrance to the tower, but despite the thin size of the structure, there was nothing but inpenetrable darkness within. Gripping my sword, I stepped through the entrance.

Suddenly, I found myself in an enormous, red-tinted room. The tower’s size was just an illusion; it was the size of a castle within. I gripped my sword uneasily, prepared for an attack from any side. It did not take long; the blob-like creatures returned. I quickly tore through their bodies, and made my way deeper into the tower.

I soon discovered the origin of these monsters: virtually every room contained various lab equipment, ranging from dusty and faded tomes of knowledge to glass tubes filled with strange liquids and forms. Anachrothe was undoubtably the creator of these creatures. At last, their alliance made perfect sense. Dejoule maintained the gemstones, allowing the barrier to expand; Bane mutated the plantlife, thus creating the strange flowers I had seen previously; and Anachrothe had created the monsters, thus destroying anything that was not mutated by the barrier.

On a table I found two objects that were not monsters. The first object was a strange armor, made entirely from human muscle and blood. I tried the armor, but I felt it was too flimsy to be of any use to me. That, and the blood still leaking from the armor felt like a waste. The other object was a scroll, which bore the sign of the necromancer. It read:

“This spell removes the soul of its victim, destroying them immediately. Remember, Kain, you will not be able to feed on their bodies, for blood without a soul is like eating spoiled meat; it does nothing to fill you and you will suffer later.”

I did not even chuckle at the necromancer’s idiotic joke, but I did memorize the spell, which I named the Spirit Death spell. I continued through the tower, attacking various monsters and freakish creations, until I reached a pair of iron doors. I forced them open, and found my three opponents, still seated and in mid-speech.

Bane was large and muscular, with a long brown beard reaching to the middle of his chest. He wore a large headdress made from an elk’s skull, complete with antlers, and his body was covered with deep, ancient scars. Dejoule was clothed completely in a glowing blue cloak, which cackled with electrical energy. Her face showed signs of endless torture; her power was indeed strong to cause its own master pain. Anachrothe’s face was scared, and covered with burnt flesh. His green robes were covered with various chemical stains.

“I thank you, Guardians,” I said. “You have hastened my search.”

“So, the scourge of the Circle has arrived,” said Bane.

“Do not fear him, Bane,” said Dejoule. “He is but a whelp. We can destroy him easily.” Their faces were filled with confidence; Anachrothe, however, was scared out of his mind.

“Don’t be a fool, Dejoule!” he shouted. “We cannot destroy him! Malek, to our aid!” As soon as he had said this, the paladin appeared in front of me, still holding his halberd. The alchemist quickly vanished; the coward ran away, leaving his companions and fellow Guardians to face me.

“Damn you, alchemist!” I shouted. “I did not come this far only to have my quarry escape!”

“That is the least of your worries,” said Malek. “You cannot destroy all three of us.” I scowled at the paladin, but I knew he was right. I could not defeat Malek by myself; it was impossible for me to face him and two other Guardians on my own. Then I remembered the ring Vorador had given me. I quickly raised the ring, and Vorador appeared beside me, brandishing his ancient sword. Malek’s attention quickly shifted to the ancient vampire; he had not forgotten the enemy that had caused his suffering.

“Vengence!” shouted Malek. “Vengence for my eternity of suffering!”

“Fool!” shouted Vorador. “As if you know what eternity is! Now, bow before your true master!”

“Never!” shouted Malek. “I’ll slice you from throat to gizzard and feed what’s left of you to your brides!” The two leaped at each other, slashing and parrying each other’s blows. Bane and Dejoule ran out the back door, and I quickly pursued them. They were now hiding in a courtyard, filled with overgrown grass and a large lake. Dejoule stood on a small island in the lake, while Bane remained to confront me on the land.

I raised my flame sword and charged Bane, but suddenly felt a burning pain in my leg. I quickly jumped back, and saw water where there had been none before. Bane smiled, then touched the ground by the water. The earth immediately disintegrated, revealing more water. The bastard was turning the earth to water!

Suddenly, I heard energy being gathered from my side. I jumped back again, as a large energy blast tore through where I was standing. Dejoule cursed from her island; the two were cornering me. I quickly dodged more of Bane’s water and Dejoule’s energy blasts, but finally came up with a plan.

I ran alongside Bane, as Dejoule was powering her next blast. I stood next to Bane, and waited until the druid had transformed the ground below me and Dejoule had fired her blast. I quickly rolled out of the way, and the blast ran into Bane instead. While he was not damaged, the heat from the explosion boiled the water where I had been standing previously. The steam shot into his eyes, blinding him completely. I then brought the fire sword down on his head, cutting through the headdress and into his brain.

I pulled my blade out, and watched the druid’s body collapse. Vines quickly surrounded it and dragged it into the ground; he had become a part of the very nature he controlled. Only his headdress remained. However, I had other problems; Dejoule, angered by the death of her fellow Guardian, began to attack wildly. I quickly casted my Repel spell, and her blasts bounced away from my body. I then fired my own blasts; however, she had a shield of her own. I continued my assault, until I finally broke a small hole in her shield. I fired one small blast, and it tore through the hole and ripped a hole in her cloak.

She began screaming immediately, as the cackling power from her cloak began to go out of control. The cloak was her only way of controlling the powers she contained; without it, she was doomed. After several agonizing minutes, her entire body was transformed into energy and dissapeared, leaving only her cloak behind. I transformed into mist and retrieved the robe, then returned to where Bane had fallen and obtained his broken headdress.

I opened the door leading back to the previous chamber, and found that the battle had ended. Vorador was nowhere to be seen; Malek’s armor, however, lay unmoving on the ground. I grabbed the paladin’s helmet; Vorador had completed his revenge at last, it seemed.

I transformed into my bat form and flew to the Pillars. After reforming, I placed the headdress in front of the Pillar of Nature, the cloak in front of the Pillar of Energy, and the helmet in front of the Pillar of Conflict. The three artifacts dissolved into their respective pillars, and they transformed back into a pristine white.

“Well done,” said Ariel. “Now, to the east lies the holy city of Avernus. The Guardian of Dimensions, Azimuth, resides her, deep within Avernus’s famed cathedral. Within you will find three objects that will help you, but first you must rise into heaven and descend into hell, and finally find your salvation in between.” I did not understand her words, but I knew where to go next.

(to be continued)

Okay, I’m just bumping this.

Question: Does anyone really care about this fic?

Me… Especially since I just completed legacy of kain : Defiance… But I’m barely around the RPGC, and I rarely still post, even when I am here.

Chapter 11: Avernus Cathedral

I returned to Dark Eden, and entered the large cave, now open by some force. I passed through a brief passage, barely illuminated by the fungus growing on the walls, and exited at a much different landscape. The fiery hell of Dark Eden and the greenery of Nosgoth clashed, creating a strange land of molten rock and abundant plants. A handful of Dark Eden’s inhabitants stalked this forsaken land, but they were weakened after Dark Eden’s power supply was destroyed, and fell easily against my blade.

The path stretched and winded for many days, until I finally neared my destination of Avernus. The very night I reached the cliffs overlooking the holy city, after I had fed on some peasants that had been unfortunate enough to cross my path, I looked down on the city, and saw a mixture of blood, fire, and screams. Some force was completely destroying the once-mighty city. Still, this did not deter me; it only complicated matters slightly.

I transformed into my bat-form and flew to the gates of the town, where the madness was at its lightest. No sooner had I reformed when I heared a terrifying growl behind me. I turned on my heels, and saw the source; a large, green, hulking demon, with a beaten, misshapen face of gnarled teeth and small eyes, long claws descending from its fingers, and fresh blood on its lips. The monster brought the force of its weight on the ground I was standing on, but I quickly dodged and sliced off its unholy head from behind. For wasting a precious gift like blood on itself, it deserved no less.

I ventured farther into the town. The attack appeared to be recent; the scent of blood was still fresh. The demons appeared with greater and greater frequency as I approached the heart of the city, and I finally took to avoiding them altogether, lest I be caught off-guard and helpless. Finally, I reached the center of the city; the legendary Avernus Cathedral, in all its splendor, lay before me. Unlike the rest of the city, this building was untouched. This could only mean that the cathedral was the source of the demonic invasion; the demons were wise enough not to bite the hand that fed them. I forced the mighty oak doors open and entered the gloomy cathedral.

(to be continued)

The cathedral was magnificent, with elaborate stained glass covering the walls, marble pillars and floor tiles, and an elaborate altar placed in the center. A large book on the altar was opened to a faded page. I strained my eyes to read it, but could find nothing of interest.

I tried the sturdy double doors at the end of the hall, but they were locked and bared from the other end. Also, the lack of blood had drained much of my strength, and I could not force the doors open. I checked another door at the far left, and found it completely unlocked. Behind it was a large stone staircase, stretching into the darkness. Gripping my sword, I walked up the stairs.

After several hours, I finally neared the top. The steps suddenly changed from a dull gray to a white marble, and the darkness began to melt away, revealing an expansive, beautiful world. Below me was a floating mass of clouds, and yet I was most certainly standing on ground.

I did not have long to think about this, however; another swarm of demons emerged, their eyes glowing with primal fury. These demons, however, were cackling with electricity, as if they were made of lightning. One of them raised his hands, and I barely managed to dodge a lightning bolt emerging from the ceiling. I leaped forward and slashed the demon across the chest, then blew the others away with several Energy Bolts. However, the strain on my body was severe; I needed some form of energy, and soon.

As if in answer to my thoughts, I saw a black altar in the distance. I limped to the altar, and found what the demons might have been searching for. A black sword was on the altar, its blade snake-like, its hilt decorated with an effigy of a human skull. I lifted the sword, and felt an immediate surge of strength.

I finally realized what this sword was. According to legend, there was a powerful, ancient blade, enchanted by unknown magics with the power to consume human souls. None remember its origins, but all who have seen the blade remember its power. It was known as the Soul Reaver, and still pulsed with the hunger for human souls. We were kindred, this blade and I.

(to be continued)

ominous thunder