9 out of 10 isn't bad

I’m not talking about flying banners, but if I can find IF ads in Greek heavy metal magazines, I’d bet they also have promotion in the States or in Canada. And don’t forget the constant touring (which is good of course, especially as they’re [or were] better live).

At The Gates only have “ex-AT THE GATES members” captions in Haunted albums and guys complaining in message boards:P j/k

Uh, yeah they are. It’s not the most obvious advertising, but the fact that they’re getting thrown on big tours in NA definitely shows there is some target audience. Not to mention their music has been sub-par now a days, watered down even. Their early shit is great but I wouldn’t be too hyped to see them now. Too metalcore for me.

Fuck, take a look at their myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/inflames. It’s so polished and refined… Also, they’re on Nuclear Blast which is a pretty big label that has a lot of ok bands on it. They’re definitely one of the more well known bands out there, even to the average metal fan.

Metal bands are only ever “marketed” by word-of-mouth. Unless getting a downloadable song on GH3 counts as marketing, In Flames pretty much has nothing, whether they’re included in big tours or not. Megadeth is headlining Gigantour. I have yet to see a commercial for it that mentions In Flames at all, even though they’re by far the better band.

I’m loving their new album btw. It’s the first one I’ve heard by them I can’t find any disgustingly bad songs on. Before it, only 3 or 4 tracks per album have been really good from them. Watered down? Have you listened to it, or is that just what people are telling you? IMO it’s extremely fleshed out and higher quality than anything they’ve released yet. Their best song is still Metaphor though.

How about the press/sites? I remember when Opeth put Blackwater Park out, they received a glowing review and their popularity massively surged in metal circles here. Before that I’d met about 3 people who were into them; after it they filled a 1200 people hall (which was cool).

That’s just a band succeeding because they’re good and finally found a way to get the word out. It’s not a case of marketing corrupting our youth though :stuck_out_tongue:

In Flames is more popular than At The Gates because they’re better than At The Gates in most peoples’ opinions. It isn’t because of some magical margeting strategy that’s corrupting people into believing shitty bands are great. It’s word of mouth from people who actually enjoy them

What I meant by marketing is the advertising found in magazines (mostly guitar and metal magazines), as well as lots of internet publicity.

I haven’t listened to a full album by In Flames, but I have heard quite a bit of their catalogue. I enjoy the earlier material such as Lunar Strains, but I’m not a fan of their newer material. I heard a couple tracks here and there and to be honest that’s enough for me since there’s so many other bands out there that I’d probably like more. Props for supporting them though, they are good musicians. Or were. Haha?

I agree with that.

Have you heard Killswitch? You said you’re not a fan of metalcore but I thought you might like them anyway.

I know. I thought that “marketing corrupting our youth” was over the top enough to convey I wasn’t being that serious. Other people can like whatever they want, but the more popular a band is, the better the odds they’ll play live here.

I smashed the Christhell out of my middle finger working construction before. Got wedged between moving a pair of blast doors we were installing and a fork-lift. The swelling didn’t go down for two days, we ended up drilling a hole through the fingernail and squirting blood out of it for a good hour. The fingernail didn’t grow back fully until six months later. It looked like it was the finger of Death during the entire while.

But I feel you on the unable-to-play-music-bit. I couldn’t play my sax for a damn good while that summer. Here’s hoping it heals quick.

Yeah, mine’s swollen right now and there’s a bunch of pressure built up under the nail. But there’s fluid draining out from where the latch pierced my finger, so with that and the keflex I should be alright. And I know whatcha mean by “finger of death.” Looks battered and broken, haha.

Hades: I’ve never heard “At The Gates.” Any good?

I dunno, never heard a song by them :stuck_out_tongue: Killswitch is good though

So, maybe In Flames aren’t better than At The Gates in most people’s opinions, because better implies a comparison :stuck_out_tongue:

Youtube vids:
Terminal Spirit Disease (cheesy vid warning)
Blinded By Fear (from their last album. If anyone’s interested, that’s the one to buy)
edit2: Cold (also from their last. That shit is good).

edit: and yes, Killswitch are good. Not terribly original, but certainly good.

In most peoples’ opinions they are, if there are more In-Flames-rocks conversations, like you just complained about :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have an opinion on it though.