60's music

I’ve recently gotten into it (so it’s safe to say I’m out of my 80’s phase). Anyone have some cool songs I can download? I already have gems such as Dedicated to the one I love, Unchained Melody, Under the boardwalk, Babylove blah blah blah. I’m sure I’ve gone further back than the 60’s though with some of those.

So what are some good time oldies I should have?

Mm Oldies! Well, the Beatles were completely in the frame of the 60’s, so anthing and everything beatles.

Fall back another ten years and you’d have my tastes. Anywho, I’ll list a few that might be in the 60s, might be in the 50s. I don’t know when half these songs came out, but they all share the same sound, for the most part. Who knows?

Red Rubber Ball - Cyrcle
Runaround Sue - Dion
Oh Pretty Woman
American Pie - Don Maclean (full version is 8 minutes or so long - don’t get stuck with the shortened one. This is a classic story song that mentions a lot of the goings on in American culture)
Only the Good Die Young
For the Longest Time
Still of the Night
You Belong to Me
Brown-Eyed Girl - (can’t remember off the top of my head)
House of the Rising Sun
Little Bitty Pretty One
Send Me on My Way - Rusted Root
Elvis has a good mix of stuff to listen to, as well.

by the Drifters (same folks who did Under the Boardwalk):
This Magic Moment
The Lion Sleeps Tonight
Stand By Me

(a little bit earlier…probably the late 50s, these few)
Dream Lover - Bobby Darin
Why Must I Be a Teenage in Love - Bobby Darin
Poor Little Fool - Ricky Nelson
Down At Papa Joe’s - Dixie Bells
That Thing You Do - The Wonders
(anything by Buddy Holly)

That might be more in amount or less specific a list than you were looking for. I could pare it down to the few songs that rip my heart out, tapdance all over it, and leave me feeling great, if you’d like. I’d also recommend Simon and Garfunkel, though they were a bit later.

Bah, those Beatles. The Monkees are where it’s at.

Brown-Eyed Girl - (can’t remember off the top of my head)

Ah I’ve been singing that for like a week and I just remembered it now XD Your list looks good to me, as I have some of the ones you listed.

I could pare it down to the few songs that rip my heart out, tapdance all over it, and leave me feeling great, if you’d like

Please please do.

And I know I may get looked down on for this but the Beatles and the Monkees do not really appeal to me twiddles thumbs I mean I like certain songs from both groups but the majority does not entertain me it seems.

I suggest you watch Woodstock, a documentary-thats-not-so-much-a-documentary-as-it-as-a-big-music-video about the famous music festival.

A few off the top of my head:
Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze
The Who - My Generation
The Who - Pinball Wizard
The Who - I Can’t Explain
Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love
Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl

I love oldies.

I am sure you have listened to the beatles/rolling stones stuff, but some people haven’t heard much beach boys and bob dylan. The beach boys Pet Sounds album is great. You can look for both of those.

For Bob Dylan (not sure how old some of them are) - Mr. Tambourine man, Hurricane, Tangled Up in Blue, Blowing in the Wind, Shelter from the Storm, Mr. Bojangles, Masters of War, Times they are a’ changing, Rolling Stone

For Beach Boys - God Only Knows, Sloop John B, good Vibrations, In my Room, Don’t Worry Baby, Help Me Rhonda, Heroes and Villains (newer, but one of their best songs)

Some specific songs off the top of my head

Patsy Cline - Crazy (The all-time best country song. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like it even those that don’t like country.)

The Crew Cuts - sh-boom (Have you ever seen the movie clue? If so you’d recognize this.)

Elvis Presley - Love me Tender (All girls love elvis don’t they?)

Mickey and Sylvia - Love is Strange (Also on the dirty dancing soundtrack.)

Other bands off the top of my head

Herman Hermits, Velvet Underground, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong, BB King, Aretha Franklin, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Willie Nelson, Simon and Garfunkle,

Kero’s are the dirty hippy songs :slight_smile:

The heart-rippers:

You Belong to Me
Stand By Me
This Magic Moment
(those last two mostly because the Drifters always included a special little instrumental part in their songs - in Stand By Me, especially, it is outstanding)
Duke of Earl
Still of the Night
Why Must I Be a Teenage in Love?

Ones that don’t “rip the heart out” but have a sense of fun/playfullness to them:

Monster Mash
Palisades Park
Remember Then
Bumble Boogie
Sloop John B. - Beach Boys
Send me on My Way
It’s Now or Never - Elvis

The Ventures did a lot of instrumental versions of a lot of oldies. They’re worth checking out, as is Rockapella, a (you guessed it) accapella group. They have my favorite version of “Oh Pretty Women,” for the record, and they do lots of things like Under the Boardwalk, too. “Zombie Jamboree” is a must-have fun song.

The Ventures along with ? & The Mysterians.

Hendrix - Anything; it all rocks
The Rolling Stones - not really sure which of their songs came out in the 60’s though

Uhm…I can’t think of anything that I like from that period that I know the name of.

That’s by “The Animals”.

60’s eh? those were good times.

The Doors: “Hello, I Love You”, “Break On Through”, “Roadhouse Blues”, “Backdoor Man”, “The End”, “Five To One”, “The Crystal Ship”

Pink Floyd: “Astronomy Domine”, “A Saucerful of Secrets”, “See Emily Play”

Jimi Hendrix: “Purple Haze”, “Foxy Lady”, “I Don’t Live Today”, “Machine Gun”, Voodoo Child (Slight Return)"

Led Zeppelin: “How Many More Times”, “Dazed And Confused”, “Whole Lotta Love”, “The Lemon Song”

Jefferson Airplane: “Somebody To Love”, “White Rabbit”

I’m not on my computer at home, but I would be able to list a lot more if I was. I’m pretty sure all the stuff I listed was made in the 60’s, even though tw of the bands, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, made more stuff in the 70’s.

waits for GenericAngstyNameChanger to come in and pwn everyone

*edit: THE GRATEFUL DEAD! I can’t think of any songs off the top of my head, but they’re a fuckin classic.

Casey Jones is my personal favourite Dead song. Ridin’ that train. . .

Anway, what kind of sixties music, there’s a lot of it, and it’s quite different from itself; Iggy and the Stooges were sixties music, but nothing AT ALL like the Beatles.

I’m looking for ballads and mainstream classics; soft stuff to sing and dance by.

The Animals have a lot of great soulful ballads, and early funk/R&B stuff is great for dancing. Most bands signed ot Motown (early on) were pretty good, if slightly cookie-cuttery, and Englad had a thriving underground pop scene in bands like the Zombies, who you should also check out (They did the ‘What’s your name? Who’s your daddy, is he rich like me?’ song that everybody knows). Sly and the Family Stone are a great band to look into, for a mix of all of that.

i suggest Beatles and especially The Who. And the Doors, Cream, the Rolling Stones… there’s just too many to list, but my favorites are the Who, Moody Blues (different style though) the Beatles and the Doors.

Try “Summer in the City” by the Lovin’ Spoonful, and “California Dreamin’” by the Mamas & the Papas.

They did the ‘What’s your name? Who’s your daddy, is he rich like me?’ song that everybody knows).

I’ve loved that song forever :stuck_out_tongue: I remember it from the tampax commercial and downloaded it about a year ago. One of my favourite songs :3

Try “Summer in the City” by the Lovin’ Spoonful, and “California Dreamin’” by the Mamas & the Papas

The Mamas & the Papas have some pretty damn good music, as I’ve been listening to them all night…

The Turtles - Happy Together. Best sappy song ever.

runs toward 984 with the sun shining overhead

And why am I a member of N’sync now? I think I need to get clean… with fire.

It’s stuck in my head now.