2010, 2061, and 3001.

I just Finished reading 2001: A Space Odyssey and thought it was fantastic. So here’s my question: Should I read the sequels? I’ve heard mixed things on them and was just wondering what you guys think.

I didnt know there were sequels.

That is seriously the worst movie I have ever seen. But the books are supposed to be quite good.

Hell yeah. 2010 is where the shit hits the fan. It’s awesome (no, it’s not action, in case I make it seem like that). I didn’t read 2060, but I’ve been meandering through 3001 for a year and a half now (not the book’s fault, just mine alone. It’s quite good so far, really). I would recommend watching both 2001 andn 2010 the movies, too.

So…anyone heard of how Morgan Freeman wants to do a Rama movie? If they avoid making it into an action flick, I think it might be cool. For reference, I absolutely dig movies like Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Contact.

I haven’t read ANY of the 2001 novels, thought I have heard that they are better than the movies- you get the point across better (most people remember A Space Odissey for the computer killing the astronauts, rather than the aliens’ manipulation of evolution.) I enjoyed the second movie more than the first, precisely because it cleared up a lot of things. I must remember to read the novels one day.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks XENOSAGA is influenced by Space Odyssey? What with the whole monolith-in-space thing…

Trian: Do you mean RANDEVOUS WITH RAMA? (That’s ANOTHER early Science Fiction story, for those who might not know.) Are they working on a movie version? Let’s hope it’s well-adapted, in a way that stays true to the novel AND is attractive to modern audiences. That’s not easy to do.

Thanks for the input. I’ll be sure to read 2010.

I hope if they make a Rama movie it’s as good as the novel.

Rama might make a cool movie. I’ve read the first one and I’m looking for the others.

If anyone here has read The Trigger, I think that would make a good social commentary film. Arthur C Clarke is a God.

I have read all the books, and would recommend them. Just make sure that you read them in order, cuz otherwise, somethings dont make sence.

The movie is weird. Very weird. It is one of the most credited movies of the last century though, I think that means it is worth a watch.

I haven’t got around to reading the books yet. I guess I should someday.

From what I’ve heard, the sequels aren’t so good. They take away the mysteries from the first one. Mysteries is a good thing, it leaves the readers with something to think about. But that is just what I’ve heard, and not what I know.

Originally posted by Sorcerer
That is seriously the worst movie I have ever seen.

BWARRRRRRGHFHLAHLGHALHGGMHALGROTHAJKBGHHGHHHHHH!!! p:unch::

2001: A Space Oddesy had one of the coolest endings I have ever seen.