2005 Movies thread

Yeah, now that we’re about midway thru the Summer Blockbuster season, I figure it’s about time that we had a thread about the movies so far this year (and the coming ones.)

What movies are you waiting for? Have you liked the ones we’ve had so far? Which ones do you expect to blow chunks?

I’ll start. (Remember, this are just my OPINIONS, not scientific analysis of the movies’ actual quality.) :stuck_out_tongue:

Star Wars Episode III:
I didn’t like it, but I KNEW it beforehand- I never like movies were the bad guys win. Still, the SFX where entertaining. And while I agree most of the dialog and acting was TERRIBLE, I must say I liked the Emperor, both because of his extremely complex and well-developed plans, and by the performance of the actor who played him- about the only good one in the movie. Enjoyable.

Madagascar: I must admit, I didn’t expect much out of this movie, but I ended up laughing a lot. Funniest movie I’ve seen so far this year. Touching, too.

The Longest Yard: Umm… not my kind of comedy. Plus, it’s a remake. Is Hollywood running out of ideas?

Cinderella Man:
I don’t like boxing but I like moving stories, especially if they’re true. Still, I’ll wait for the DVD.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: AHHH!! CHICK FLICK!!! I’ll save it for when I DO have a girl.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith: I refuse to see this movie, if only because I’m morally opposed to movies that feature assassins as protagonists. Doesn’t look that good (Angelina Jolie excepted ;P) anyway.

Monster-in-Law:
No, not my type of comedy. Not even for JLO.

Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl: Isn’t this Spy Kids 3D? Same people, same SFX effects… I’ll wait for the dvd.

War of the Worlds: Why remake this movie- AGAIN? Heck, even INDEPENDENCE DAY was basically the same idea. Plus, the story never made sense. Can even Spielberg make it work? I might see it just to find out. But I’m not expecting much.

Honeymooners:
What is with all the new movie versions of old TV shows? Why are the characters black? Will they be able to say the famous line “One of these days, Alice… POW! TO THE MOON!” in today’s PC climate?
I’ll skip it.

Howl’s Moving Castle: Another Miyazaki animated movie: weird, but great-looking, and probably touching as well. I’ll see it, but in DVD.

Herbie: Fully Loaded: ARRGH! Why are they ruining my childhood memories? Herbie was cute, not ANNOYING! (And is it true they had to digitally REDUCE Lohan’s breasts because they were deemed too big for a family movie? Naaah… )

The Perfect Man: Chick flick. Looks cute, tho. Maybe someday.

Bewitched: Again, WHY ARE THEY RUINING MY CHILDHOOD? Great actors, TERRIBLE version. > <

Batman Begins: Now THIS is the movie I’ve been waiting for! EVERYTHING I’ve seen so far says It’ll be great- Even Ebert & Roper like it, and they NEVER like anything good! :stuck_out_tongue: Heck, even the Bat-Tank is starting to grow on me! Please PLEASE Lord don’t let it suck!!!

Fantastic Four: Another movie I WILL see in teathers, but my hopes are low. Who knows, it might surprise me like Madagascar did.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: I do NOT read the HP books, specifically so I won’t get disappointed with the movie versions. I’m not a big fan but I still enjoy watching them in teathers.

King Kong: Speaking of unnecessary remakes… -_-

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Ugh, no. I hated the original, and see no reason to watch this one.

Chicken Little: Yet another CGI funny animal movie. And this time, the sky is falling because… ALIENS ATTACK?? OK, gotta at least find out more.

Chronicles of Narnia: Looks Harrypotterish… I might go see it. (I wonder if the religious allusions of the book will be in there?)

Cars: Pixar’s next CGI movie. You know, I love their movies so much, I can’t help wondering WHEN they’ll let me down. Will this be it? Haven’t seen anything promising yet…

There’s plenty more coming, of course. For a full list of this year’s movies (yes, with information on them) go here:
http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2005complete-list.html

Opinions?

It’s all about Unleashed.

Advent Children.

I shall probably not see any of these anytime soon, except for the possibly the Narnia film and the anime, but then again, my taste tends towards independent and foreign films, usually.

I may watch Star Wars Episode III a few years from now just to see what happens. I may do the same for the Kingdom of Heaven, though for mild amusement.

I refuse to see anything star wars lest i’m strapped into a chair and my eyes held open to watch it. Madagascar looks cute, I’d like to see it sometime. Yes it’s hollywood, they’re always out of ideas. The Longest Yard might be funny. Howl’s moving castle looks of course nice like Miyazaki movie should, i’d like to see it sometime as well. Batman Begins looks good i actually have hope for the Batman series, well despite the tank, i mean batmobile. I’ve seen every Harry Potter to date in theaters so far, I’d love to see this one in the theater too. It’s in post production, so says www.imdb.com though, so not sure it will be out this summer but it could be. Charlie and the chocolate factory has Johnny Deep looking really, really odd; i prefer Gene Wilder anyday. It’s also directed by Tim Burton so it’s sure to be kind of odd. Chronicles of Narnia, read the first book long ago, wonder how it will turn out. I had wanted to see Kung-fu hustle, reminds me of Kung-Pow:enter the fist.

AZUMI!!
Niice!
I’m hanging out for this one…
But other than that… Advent Children, Madagascar, umm… there’s not much quality nowadays…
But there’s always time for an alright laugh, whether With or At the movie.

Ninten:cool:

Strangers with Candy! Anyone who recognized my avatar would realize that.

Whoah. There making a Narnia movie? Those used to be some of my favorite books/movies as a little kid.

Advent Children, too. Trailers make it look really good.

Dude, have NONE of you seen Diary Of A Mad Black Woman? I mean, it’s not just for black folks, it’s for everybody I tell ye. It even has that guy from The Practice. You know, the lawyer show that actually had black lawyers.

sigh

Only one I’ve seen so far is Star Wars Ep. III. Not very impressive, but at least I’m not the only person who hasn’t seen it.

Plans for the summer include Howl’s Moving Castle, because it’s just so damn pretty, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, because of Depp/Burton. I might squeeze in Batman Begins if I’ve got some extra money. And then come Christmastime I’ll check out The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

If there’s anything else awesome enough coming out to make me put off the DVDs I’ve been putting off for years, I haven’t heard of it yet.

The Longest Yard: Umm… not my kind of comedy. Plus, it’s a remake.

War of the Worlds: Why remake this movie- AGAIN? Heck, even INDEPENDENCE DAY was basically the same idea. Plus, the story never made sense. Can even Spielberg make it work? I might see it just to find out. But I’m not expecting much.

Honeymooners: What is with all the new movie versions of old TV shows? Why are the characters black? Will they be able to say the famous line “One of these days, Alice… POW! TO THE MOON!” in today’s PC climate?

Herbie: Fully Loaded: ARRGH! Why are they ruining my childhood memories? Herbie was cute, not ANNOYING! (And is it true they had to digitally REDUCE Lohan’s breasts because they were deemed too big for a family movie? Naaah… )

Bewitched: Again, WHY ARE THEY RUINING MY CHILDHOOD? Great actors, TERRIBLE version. > <

King Kong: Speaking of unnecessary remakes… -_-

Is Hollywood running out of ideas?

Wil, This is pathetic. It looks like the creative juice of major studios is drying out. But, I think it is the audience fault. The movie goers (especially older generation) don’t like to be mentally challenged; they want something easy, comfortable and familiar. Some (the younger ones) just want cool FX, loud noise and high body count.
I am not watching anything this year. I want a remake of Dumb and Dumber!

Um, from what I’ve seen, the Bewitched “remake” isn’t really a remake. It’s more of a new take on the show. It’s not just a movie version of the show.

Will Farrell plays an actor who will be playing Darren in a TV remake of the show. Nicole Kidman really is a witch, and she’s chosen to reprise the role. Then there’s “wacky hijinks” involved with a real witch playing a witch on a TV show. It’s not totally original, no, but if you’re going to make a remake, do it like this. It is an imaginative new take after all.

And you’re listing War of the World as a remake? Oh fucking come on. It’s a damn book. They’re not remaking any old movies. They’re adapting the book to the big screen. Listing that as a remake would be just like listing Kenneth Brannagh’s Hamlet as a remake of Sir Laurence Olivier’s Hamlet. Or listing the '94 Bram Stoker’s Dracula as a remake of the old Bela Lugosi Dracula. Or hell. This new Lion, Witch, Wardrobe movie as a remake of the old BBC version.

War Of Worlds has been a film before 984 (heh that rhymes :P). Twice.

The first one came out in 1953 and the second during the mid-80’s so it is a remake, and whether the originals are old or not is irrelevant.

And I’m not looking forward to any films at all, except AC.

And I saw Ep III and whilst the dialogue was poor, I liked it.

Don’t forget about Sin City. While not being everyone’s cup of tea, no doubt that the movie was a fugging masterpiece.

Just because another movie in the past doesn’t mean you have to classify the new movie in the category of “OMG TAHT WUZ A MVIE B4 REMAKES SUCK” movies.

IT’S A FUCKING BOOK. Hollywood’s not ripping off its own ideas by having a new WotW movie. This isn’t a case of remaking an old movie. It’s a new adaptation of a book. Remaking implies that the producers or whomever specifically went out and redid the old movie version, not adapting a book.

Longest Yard? Remake. Kenneth Brannagh’s Hamlet? New Adaptation. Flight of the Phoenix? Remake. Bram Stoker’s Dracula? New Adaptation. King Kong? Remake. Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? New Adaptation.

See how that works? Making a new movie on old, original source material does not constitute calling a movie a remake.

Star Wars Episode three was good.

Sin City was good.

there, that’s my movie review 2005 so far.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is also not a remake, if we’re still going that same road. It’s an adaptation, with the correct title and from what I hear, is closer to the source material than the old movie. Which, if you hated the first movie, but enjoyed the book, is good enough reason to at least give it a chance.

I remember reading some long-winded debate on IMDB about that (remake vs adaptation). Kinda mind-numbing, actually. :\

Not in my book, 98, or in many other people’s. Heck, in some cases, the movie versions ARE more definitive than the book versions. See: Dracula or Frankestein, whose original book versions were very different from the movie ones, yet the movie Drac and Frank are the ones everyone remembers or uses.

Anyway, the point is: why remake something that has already been done as a movie, regardless of where it originally appeared? I understand that SOME movies might deserve to be remade, IF they have a good story that deserves to be told to a new generation, and current SFX would do it better justice… but none of the scheduled remakes fit the bill, in my opinion.

And I know about Bewitched’s new storyline- and it effectively removes the charm the original had- not to mention, isn’t it unbelievably convenient that they find the perfect Samantha Stevens lookalike, but that she would prove to be a real witch, with EXACTLY the same powers as in the TV show, including the nose-twitching??? I’m not saying it can’t be fun, I’m just judging from what I see right now, but so far, I find the idea annoying.

And speaking of remakes:

Dukes of Hazzard:
Starring… the guys from JACKASS as the Duke brothers?? And JESSICA SIMPSON as Daisy Duke??? That’s it, somebody find a SHOTGUN!!! :ark:

That’s because most people are stupid and don’t read. And if ANY adaptation of War of the Worlds were more definitive than the book (which is just stupid, maybe more ingrained in pop culture) it would be the old radio broadcast. Pretty much no one remembers the old WotW movies.

I should add Kingdom of Heaven to the list. While Orlando Bloom is not my favorite actor, he and the rest of the cast played their parts passably enough and while the script wasn’t any sort of marvel, it kept me entertained for the whole flick. Mediocre, but I don’t regret seeing it. And I’ll be honest, Bloom’s character kept reminding me of FFT’s Ramza.