17 Years Ago, Today

Cliff Burton, Metallica’s bassist, died. He was an amazing bassist, and I personally thought he kept the band together. After his death, they made one good album, and then they went comercial, and went crappy.

How did he die?

Wow I didn’t know Metallic went back that far…

Originally posted by Sephiroth Hayes
How did he die?

A tour bus fell on him, pretty much. A more detailed explanation, taken from some site:

Metallica was en route on a road between Stockholm and Copenhagan, to their next gig that was scheduled for September 27th, 1986. Earlier that night the band drew cards for the assignment of the bunks on the tour bus. As fate would have it, Cliff drew the ace of spades and chooses Kirk Hammet’s bunk. Around dawn, the bus driver lost control of the bus and overcorrects with the steering wheel to get back on the road. The bus begins to skid out of control and rolls several times before coming to a halt. Cliff was ejected and pinned underneath. The band disembarks to find Cliff motionless. Later a crane was brought to the scene to lift up the bus, the band hoped Cliff could be saved. However, after lifting the bus up, it slipped back down. According to Mick Hughes, Metallica’s soundengineer, no one was sure if Cliff was still alive at that point.

And Metallica goes back to 1982. They were pretty damn sweet, and even had Dave Mustaine, from Megadeth, in their band for little while.

Originally posted by Gila-Monster
[b]A tour bus fell on him, pretty much. A more detailed explanation, taken from some site:

And Metallica goes back to 1982. They were pretty damn sweet, and even had Dave Mustaine, from Megadeth, in their band for little while. [/b]

Interesting death.

And Metallica goes back to 1982. They were pretty damn sweet, and even had Dave Mustaine, from Megadeth, in their band for little while.

Really? Huh, i learn something new everyday…

I’ll agree that Metallica was much better in the 1980s (I think they reached their peak with either Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets), but there’s not a single point where they went “crappy”. I know it’s stylish to say that anything post “…And Justice for All” is automatically shit-music, but I kind of want an explanation as to why. Yeah, I know Metallica’s music has gotten less metal and whatnot, but it’s not as if it was an instant transformation. “Kill 'em All” was extremely raw, but then Metallica started getting more melodic (you can even see this with Ride the Lightning). I think that people sometimes just start to dislike something as soon as it starts getting popular (The Black album could be seen as Metallica’s breakthrough album, as it’s when they started to go mainstream).

I thought that the Black Album was excellent (certainly better than Kill 'em All and …And Justice for All). Load and Reload showed a definite dip in quality, but I really liked some of the songs on them (Until it Sleeps comes to mind). And I really, really liked Metallica’s covers of Whiskey in the Jar and Turn the page. Haven’t heard much from St. Anger yet. What I have heard hasn’t really impressed me.

Damn. I forgot that was today. He’ll be remembered and honored.

Best. Bassist. Ever.

You want an explanation eh? Alright.
I think Metallica peaked on Master of Puppets(although Ride The Lightning is almost better than it, and they are kind of the same album, only with different music and lyrics… look at the song structures though.). And Justice For All was good, but it’s kind of boring, and the bass isn’t absent, but it’s so quiet you can’t hear it. The Black Album, or Metallica, is a good album, I’ll say that. It’s more interesting than And Justice for All, sometimes, but I wouldn’t say it’s better than Kill 'Em All. But it lacks that edge that previous albums had, and has a more refined feel, almost comercial. And to be honest, I haven’t heard Load or Reload, but other than a few songs that are pretty good, the songs I’ve heard from them are bad. As for S+M, that was a nice idea they had, and it’s an awesome album, but there’s only 2 new songs on it. Garage Inc. on the other hand, is pretty damn sweet. They’re all cover songs, but there is some good songs on that, that were written by some very influential bands. It was also interesting to see who influenced Metallica the most.
And St. Anger… Well it’s garbage, to say the least. It’s a horrible excuse for music, and a waste of money. But that’s just my opinion.
So, Metallica’s later stuff, compared to Kill 'Em All’s awesome underground/raw feel, the awesomeness of Ride The Lightning/Master of Puppets, and …And Justice For All, is pretty crappy.

The 80s had good music and musicans, but terrible computers. Tough choice.

May he continue to rest in peace, though, I suppose that’d be a violation of his nature.

Ah yes… Cliff Burton. I could go on and on about how goddamn good he was, but I won’t. I’ll just say this: Anesthesia is just a sample of how good he was.

Cliff, rest in peace.

Hes wearing a Dawn of the Dead shirt! he roxxorz in my book.

Cliff Burton was pretty cool, damn shame he passed away when he did.

Originally posted by Nulani

May he continue to rest in peace, though, I suppose that’d be a violation of his nature.

Heh, he was kind of calm actually. Or so I heard.

Actually, Metallica has been around since 1980, where they produced two non-studio albums before they finalized the band and released Kill Em All in 1982.

I don’t think the band got “crappy” after “…And Justice for All”, but it most certainly is a different kind of music. The band is old, they’re people in almost their 40’s. They’ve grown up a lot since they were the “anti-motley crue” in the early 80’s, when they wanted to get drunk and kick ass. It’s different music, but just because it’s different doesn’t mean it’s bad.

St. Anger isn’t very good though. Frantic is a great live song, but other than that I don’t really like the record. I like Load and Reload though, and I love the Black Album, but to say that it’s better than Kill Em All is a joke. You can’t compare the two because they’re almost two completly different types of music. Kill Em All is a fast paced, thrash metal, raw and hardcore, while the Black Album is slower, more melodic and more defined. I personally feel that Kill Em All is the better of the two.

Cliff Burton was definitly one of the greatest Bassists ever. Many, many current bassists derive their style from him. His skill, in my opinion, remains unsurpassed to this day.

Originally posted by Crotanks
[b]

Best. Bassist. Ever. [/b]

I agree with that, i like there old stuff a lot more then there new stuff. I only like a little of their new songs.

Originally posted by Sorcerer
Actually, Metallica has been around since 1980, where they produced two non-studio albums before they finalized the band and released Kill Em All in 1982.

No, they formed in 1981, and they released Kill 'Em All in 1983. I dunno why I said 1982 in that previous post.

uh, excuse me but the best bassist ever is the love child of paul mccartney and kim deal.

No, best bassist ever is Jaco Pastorius.

i liked metallica’s old stuff alot but their new stuff on St.Anger (no offense to anyone who liked it but) jus plain SUCKS