100% American

not really, it’s just that everyone has their own definition of “humor” and, most of the time, cannot understand others’ senses of humor.

I thought it was frickin’ hilarious.

Yar , gimme a hug.

Yoink! <i>[runs away]</i>

… Dork.

…it’s hilarious 'cause it’s true…

watch out, sin might try to hug you!

shut up, ayane.

I thought that was hilarious… I’d say it’s the best thing I’ve read today, but it’s the first, so I’ll say it’ll be the best thing I’ll read today 'cause everything else SUCKS.

Personally I’m torn. It makes you think a bit, but I didn’t really see it as funny.

Still, is alright.

Kind of reminds me of A Modest Proposal, got the same tone.

I have already read this, and I enjoyed it.

Originally posted by d Galloway
the US just took about seven million from all the masses of immigrants that entered the country and melted it into a single culture that became “US Culture”

They didn’t melt it together, they took baseball bats and beat the fuck out of every culture, thouroughly bastardizing everything they touched :stuck_out_tongue:
But anyway, it’s a very good read :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Sinistral
whose fixtures are a mixture of European and American inventions

Wow, the article actually admitted that something in his morning was of American origin.

Originally posted by Sinistral
I’m amazed at how everything I say is always misinterpreted. I must be really nebulous.

So what you were really trying to say is we must make the oceans run red with the blood of those who dared to invent things before America and then we can make their creations our own?

Oh yeah, and the fact that you said nebulous made me giggle like a schoolgirl for about ten minutes.

Given the date of publication, Sin, do you think this was written in reaction to/reflection on the “100% Americanism” kick that grew up in the latter days of the Progressive Era (and, hilariously enough, has become relevant again as jingoism masquerading as patriotism runs like beatlemania over the nation…) ?

One of the after-effects of taking aspects of other cultures and incorporating them into your own is that, a few generations down the road, the people of the incorporating culture tend to lose track of the fact that it came from somewhere else in the first place. Especially when the culture inevitably puts its own unique torques and spins on it that are genuinely their own. Which is probably where we were in 1936, and is very much where we are now.

[Hell, we speak fuggin ENGLISH, not “American.” And English itself is a mutt language from germanic and latin origins…]

And Sin: I didn’t laugh not because it wasn’t humorous, but because it’s a joke I’ve heard a lot before, if you get my drift. :wink: (Still, I think it’s good for us to give ourselves these reminders every now and then, particularly when we begin to get too wrapped up in ourselves).

Kaiser: most likely.

100% World.